Reptile Forums banner

Some pics from Spain

900 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  8and6 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I thought some here might be interested in some of the inverts I have taken some pictures of. I recently got a phone with a macro camera on, it’s not brilliant, but it has kept me happy :lol2:. I would be greatly interested in opinions on identification on those I haven’t named, or correction on those I have, and other comments are welcome.

Grasshoppers

Blue-winged Grasshopper - Oedipoda caerulescens

Blue-winged Grasshopper - Oedipoda caerulescens

Angry Wasp

European Rhinoceros Beetle - Oryctes nasicornis

European Rhinoceros Beetle - Oryctes nasicornis

Spiders

Jumping Spider - Menemerus semilimbatus

Crab Spider - Thomisus onustus (?)

Crab Spider - Thomisus onustus (?)

White Wolf Spider - Lycosa sp.

Wolf Spider - Lycosa sp.

Wolf Spider - Lycosa sp.

Wolf Spider - Lycosa sp.

Wolf Spider - Lycosa sp.

And, the creme-de-la-creme (if it is what i think it is)

Spanish Tarantula - Ischnocolus sp.

Spanish Tarantula - Ischnocolus sp.

This last spider looked way too big to be a wolf, 3-4cm body size, with a leg span of 6-7cm, maybe mroe. I hope someone can confirm this as i have been trying to find one for 10 months.

No scorps im afraid, they dont seem to be present in this exact location:sad:

I hope some of you enjoy:2thumb:.

See less See more
#5 ·
for photos taken with a phone I would have to say they are pretty good.

Im sorry to say though that theIschnocolus sp. is not a Ischnocolus sp and is rather another type of wolf spider by the looks of it (can telll this by the two big eyes) , but still a very nice find.

#7 ·
Thanks so much,

Oh dear what a shame, I still love Wolf Spiders, i had just never seen one this big, and the body had a 'tarantula look' about it. I imagine Lycosa sp. would be very interesting in captivity, they are so active.

Do you know much about Ischnocolus, can you recommend a good book or site? I have found very limited info on the web.:2thumb:

Cracking pics, what camera phone were you using?

Jon
Thank you Jon: victory:

I was using the Macro feature on a Sony Ericson U10i. It is quite hit or miss, but I have had reasonable success, with Reptiles and Insects.:2thumb:

Bill

#6 ·
Cracking pics, what camera phone were you using?

Jon

#11 ·
i keep a few individuals of two species (andalusiacus and valentinus) and waiting for males to mature :(

the article is here

it's a good read, i've read the letters off the screen i've gone through it so any times, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.