Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After posting the invert pics in the spider forum, I though I'd show (off:whistling2:) my reptiles and amphibian photos from our day trip on here.

Asian Flying Frog

Argentinian Horned Frog

Veined Tree Frog

Finally a Snake!!! Amazon Tree Boa

Brazilian Rainbow Boa (shedding)

Savannah Monitor

Boa Constrictor

Spectacled Caimans (sharing their enclosure with a butterfly)

Yellow Anaconda (that's my son's reflection admiring it)

Poison Dart Frog

Burmese Python, called Eric (he must be ancient. He was given to the RAF as a mascot in the 80s, when he was already massive)

Fat Tailed Gecko

My middle son with Wall-E, Royal Python

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Very nice. Where is the place?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
nice pics, have to admit i wasn't well impressed with it when i was there the poor wee cresties had ONE branch to climb on, i DID like the bats they where cool!
and i HATE the fact they say the proper way to carry a snake is round the neck then dump it round the kids neck... and pass round frogs to handle. without even telling you to wash your hands.......... but then thats just me.

Eric is awesome I have been down to Weymouth where he was "stationed" as they have a big bit in their museum on the camp there about him.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice pics, have to admit i wasn't well impressed with it when i was there the poor wee cresties had ONE branch to climb on, i DID like the bats they where cool!
and i HATE the fact they say the proper way to carry a snake is round the neck then dump it round the kids neck... and pass round frogs to handle. without even telling you to wash your hands.......... but then thats just me.

Eric is awesome I have been down to Weymouth where he was "stationed" as they have a big bit in their museum on the camp there about him.
Mmh, they must have improved their husbandry then. There were no Cresties when we went, but all the animals had adequate climbing and hiding places (the Poison Dart Frogs could have done with a bit more space, but they'd only just been moved into a new bigger enclosure - there used to be a Northern Pine Snake in it). Some of the animals were not even visible.
They have also shut of a 3rd of the ponds, which is now being rebuild for the spectacled Caimans.
As for the handling session: It was insisted upon that everyone had to wash their hands before and after touching the animals. The keeper who led the session explained clearly how to carry and support a snake correctly, the bit around the neck was only for a quick photo and under strict supervision. For holding the Chilean Rose Tarantula everyone had to wear safety goggles, just in case hairs had become lose, and you were not allowed to lift your hands off the table to prevent injury to the animals.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That Savannah Monitor is very badly housed, dehydrated and other possible issues sustained from that kind of husbandry will seal its fate :devil:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
That Savannah Monitor is very badly housed, dehydrated and other possible issues sustained from that kind of husbandry will seal its fate :devil:
Thank god someones pointed that out, it looks rfuk.....ed, and the setup couldnt be more wrong, firstly the substrate is completly wrong and secondly theres no place for a heatmat in any varanid enclosure let alone an old screwed up one taped to the back, i suppose thats its basking spot :devil:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thank god someones pointed that out, it looks rfuk.....ed, and the setup couldnt be more wrong, firstly the substrate is completly wrong and secondly theres no place for a heatmat in any varanid enclosure let alone an old screwed up one taped to the back, i suppose thats its basking spot :devil:
The Reptile Report linked me to this post (no offence to the OP) "...some nice pictures of a variety of reptiles and amphibians". Does The Reptile Report suggest this is a nice picture?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts