Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just looking for some t info hoping for one before long

first spider

think a chile rose or a mexican redknee would be a good choice?

how many and what type of crix do they eat and how often
is it true adults can eat small mice ?
what substrate should be used?
what decor should i keep in the viv?
how often should they be cleaned out ?

any other important things i should know before making a definate decision?

thanks alot :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i know very little on spiders but i think the chilean are are the better choice :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
a chilli wud probably be better... they dont flick hairs! depending on what size of t u get it shud be
slings- micro crix or wingless fruitfly
obviously gettin larger as the t does
juve- size 3 or 4 crix
full grown- they can take small mice if thats wat u wana give em but mine get a cycle of superworms, lrg locusts, fuzzies an pinkies, anoles an full grown crix. ive always jus used the standard grey crix

if its a chilli or mexican it doesnt need 2 be moist or humid so u can use nearly anything, repti bark, vermiculite ect ect i would use a soil/vermiculite mix so they can burrow or make their retreat theyre own (as all mine do wen theyre freshly cleaned out).

you dont need 2 decorate the viv at all but a hide an a waterdish are essential(obvious! but im ona roll) and maybe some real or fake plants jus 2 make it look better(an keep the humidity wen its molting time).

cleaning out varies for different spiders cuz some are clean an sum wreck the place but wen u get ur t, trustme, ull kno wen its time 2 clean lol but should be every few months.

im positive some people wont agree with some of that but hey, its kept my t's sweet 4 ovr 10 yrs :D

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oo thanks :)

dunno if im allowed yet even if im not , just gotta wait a few years :p

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
brachyphelma scheroderi got it in one there, only thing i would suggest in my honest opinion is get a good size one first, i know its nice to see a sling grow but this will help you get a good bit of experience with the spider from day one then maybe if you get another try a sling.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
went to pet shop today saw a thai black i know there not for inexp peeps but they looks kool and u just gotta be carefull really as with any spider

is £30 good price for it ? :O

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
depends for your area mate, saw one in northampton today for £20, good size aswell

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
yeah go for a more calmer species. if you like the colour get a Grammostola pulchra, its like the chile rose in temperament terms but all black, very nice indeed or go for a mexican red rump another nice black spider with red hairs on the abdomen.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Stay away from the thi black for a while, they can be a bit funny and aggressive. Go for the the chili rose. much easier to keep as a first spider, very pretty and don't flick hairs. The redknee can be a little flick happy and some end up with a bold spot on their back.

Note, if your spider is under 3 inch legspan it may not need a water ball, just regular misting will do it. If you do have a water ball its best to put some peatmoss in the bottom so the spider doesn't drown.

·
Registered
383 Posts
or if ya want sumfin really flashy get a green bottle blue, seriously nice wee spiders, ive got 1 an i think its even tamer than the chilli. theyre also a gift 2 look after cuz theyre a dry species plus cuz they so brightly coloured u can c wen theyre gna molt a mile off....

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i asked if i was aloud , and if i do well in my gcse's im getting one as a gift :flrt:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Nice one mate, good reason to do well then isn't it, lol. So I guess you will be thinking of some names for your future pet then? lol Oh, and trust me, it wont be the only spider you have for long, they are very addictive. lol

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup i found that out with leo's lmao started with one got 3 nw lmao

planning to build a 3ft x 13" x 13" viv for them and maybe build one for a t' with left over materials

1 - 15 of 15 Posts