Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, while in Cold Blooded today, i asked about Dwarf Sand Geckos. Anyway, he took me to some viv with some geckos that were proper tiny, i mean not much bigger than 50p piece. Anyway. I can't remember the name. Can someone suggest names that it might have been? If i see it i'll remember the name! it had 2 names to it kinda like Dwarf Sand, but completely different o_O

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It didn't have the latin name. But i think he said it was the only type i'd get this time of year. Don't think that helps much though. It's bugging me cause i wana find out information on them

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Stenodactylus petrii ?

or

Tropiocolotes tripolitanus - this one i keep, and bred last year..

N

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the thing.. it didn't have a latin name.
it had an English name i guess. Lol thats the name i'm trying to figure out :D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
top one or bottom one hon?

N

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
bottom one is the Tripoli Dwarf Gecko

some nice info on them here

Tripoli Dwarf Gecko (Tropiocolotes tripolitanus) :: The Reptile Rooms

the top one is seen under a few names, dwarf sand gecko, Dune gecko, Frog eyed gecko, short fingered gecko..

there are three species of them, S.Petri S.stenodacylus, S. doriae

S.doriae
is the one least seen in the pet markets..

you can here a recording of the noise they make here:

Sounds S. Petrii

these guys bred them in 2004 Reptilia UK - Captive Bred Reptiles

see thread

First Stenodactylus Geckos For 2004 - Livefood UK Forum

a friend of mine bred Stenos this year.. i am not sure whose babies were smaller, hers or mine.. mine had legs the thickness of hairs.. amazing things!!!

they do best in small groups or colonies..

wicked little geckos i have to say!

Nerys

Reactions: bjherp

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
The S.petrii are the ones i have and their georgious little things, never heard them make a noise, well not yet. Was it the S.Petrii that your mate bred and if so will she this year and will she have any for sale.

the Tropiocolotes tripolitanuslooks awsome BTW i think i may have to get another tank on the go hehe.

Jay

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
They could have been S.Sthenodactylus as there are a few WC ones around at the mo and are smaller the the S.Petrii so could have been them though if they were about 50p size they would be juvinals

Jay

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
will ask mate which they are... tbh i am not sure at the moment.. we always just refer to them as stenos and tripos..

lol..

the tripos were being sold for £10 each by a guy at the shows.. simon.. had lots of froggies too :) nice guy.. something to do with on of the societies..

i could do with some more me-self!

N

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I really need to make meself a bigger viv when i next get the chance that way i can have more and make myself a little colony hehe. Hopfully this will be over the easter hols then i can get hold of some more in the summer, yay.

jay

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Trice was it a mourning gecko :)

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a mourning.
it's getting on my nerves, i'm going to have to go down there to find out again. It's on the tip of my tongue! but i can't remember the name ! Grrr

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it was a Cyrtodactylus pulchellus
or something similar. I'm pretty positive it had the name Jeweled Something Gecko
or Something Jeweled Gecko
:D
anyone know any info on them?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
jewelled ground gecko ... there was one in cold blooded today.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
yay i win! :no1: :lol2:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm andy chance you can get us a picture of the wee geckos, or their scientific name as that will help. Jewled ground gecko ricgs a bell but not sure where from, i know stenos are sometime to emeraled and jewled geckos if thats anyhelp.

jay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts