Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short once again the supplier i use has sent me fish that after two days developed severe white spot. Unfortunetly they are in a tank with shrimp so i cant use any chemical treatments.

Any advice on how to treat the tank? The fish effected are Red Rainbows but have spread to the other Rainbows. Oh and water conditions are fine.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Remove the fish and treat in a hospital tank! Set the temperature a few degrees higher and purchase some aquatic salt. Also you can add some crushed garlic as it strengthens the immune system.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the fish and treat in a hospital tank! Set the temperature a few degrees higher and purchase some aquatic salt. Also you can add some crushed garlic as it strengthens the immune system.

The others are infected now too and moving them would be too stressfull for them (let alone i dont have space for a hospital tank and my original tank will still be effected)

Im sure theres other treatments that dont use copper or malachite green but not sure what they are.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Just use salt and raise the temperature to 85 degrees F.....the salt won't affect the shrimp. Add 1 Tablespoon of NON-iodized salt for every 5 U.S. gallons of water and do a 50% water change every 3 days, repeating the process. Make sure the temperature is EXACTLY 85 degrees F. It should clear-up within 7-14 days. This method always has worked 100% for me, and no chemicals are necessary to treat ICH.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just use salt and raise the temperature to 85 degrees F.....the salt won't affect the shrimp. Add 1 Tablespoon of NON-iodized salt for every 5 U.S. gallons of water and do a 50% water change every 3 days, repeating the process. Make sure the temperature is EXACTLY 85 degrees F. It should clear-up within 7-14 days. This method always has worked 100% for me, and no chemicals are necessary to treat ICH.
+1 on this. raise temps and add salt. higher temps speed the parasite through its life cycle faster so they reach the free swimming stage which is when they can be killed, and the salt will kill them when they fall from the fish before they can find another host. worked every time when i had it in any of my tanks :2thumb: ive never used chemicals since finding this out, and it has had no impact on any of my fish ive kept, or my snails either. i use aquarium salt.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Simplest thing would be to raise the temp to 85f this kill's off the whitespot and works for me in the past.

I would try Melifix also to help. this is surposed to be nontoxic to shrimp, but never needed to test this yet in my shrimp mixed tanks.

Raising the temperature does nothing in regard as a remedy, it only speeds up the life-cycle of the Ich parasite, thus making it's treatment work quicker since it can not be treated in egg-form. Non-iodized table salt should be used to kill the parasite in ADDITION to raising the temperature to 85 degrees F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.