Reptile Forums banner

someone help clear this up

543 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Se7enS1ns 
#1 ·
ok for years and years i have been watching vids on how to keep royals royal breeding all these crazy morphs etc and how much they went for but since i have started keeping royals for about a year ive noticed all they vids i watched years ago the prices have dropped allot compaird to today how has this happend ive been told its been from breeders trying to sell cheeper than each outhere and thats just dropping the price of the animal but im not to sure

#2 ·
It's basic economics, supply and demand.

When a morph is first found, it dmands a high price as more people will want one than here are available.

After a few years, these babies will be producing more and more. As more are available, the supply begins to meet demand, so the price drops because people can afford to be fussy.

Reactions: emmabee
#5 ·
Simple

If someone has 10 things in the world and people want them they can charge what they like.

If there's 10 million then people will just undercut eachother.

AKA saturation.

People have seen £ signs in breeding royals so many have jumped on the bandwagon.

#8 ·
Look at how many people in the classifieds put something up for sale
Next day drop price
Next day open to offers

People see these quick price drops and expect all sellers to follow suit
Quality examples hold their prices

As others have said, supply / demand
There's only one Mona Lisa, she demands big bucks
:2thumb:

#9 ·
Look at how many people in the classifieds put something up for sale
Next day drop price
Next day open to offers

People see these quick price drops and expect all sellers to follow suit
Quality examples hold their prices

As others have said, supply / demand
There's only one Mona Lisa, she demands big bucks
:2thumb:
I certainly believe that you should expect to pay a little more for a particularly good example of the morph you are looking for, and not that sellers should be expected to match the price of what others are selling their poorer examples for.

I've see a few times things along the lines of "I saw a Pastel (for example) last week for £120 but yours is £150..." So?

#11 ·
In time it may be hard to find a normal Royal to buy. The market is a wash with morphs and morphs are all breeders are interested in breeding these days. The more morphs are produced the more prices will continue to drop.

#12 ·
In time it may be hard to find a normal Royal to buy. The market is a wash with morphs and morphs are all breeders are interested in breeding these days. The more morphs are produced the more prices will continue to drop.
Nonesense. Normals will always be the "bread and butter" of the Royal market, found in every general petshop that sells Royals. Whilst it's true that not many set out to intentionally breed or prooduce Normals, by far the majority of hobbyist breeders are pairing single and double gene morphs, so you're always going to have a significant margin of Normals being produced as a "leftover". These inevitably end up on the classifieds or in the pet shops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.