Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Heres something I dont understand, I read on here that calci-sand is a big no no, and the people who advocate not using calci sand sometimes use playsand. I thought that playsand was completely indigestible even more so than the ground calcium carbonate that is calci - sand. Not starting an argument, or a debate on whats best to use and I definately dont want to see that same old picture (again) of the impacted leopard gecko. I am just interested what makes play sand apparently safer than calci sand?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I dont get that if you test play sand it Clumps up even more when wet so when your lizard misses or licks the sand it just clumps...both are as bad IMO they can both kill except the lzards weill lick calci sand more as they can smell the calcium or whatever so they take it in larger amounts but play sand clumps up..:D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
calci sand does clump worse when mixed with water, it also goes really minging and water just runs over it.

But the main reason is that calci sand is mor eliekly to be eaten purposely due to it being calcium based.
Accidents happen, but not often, but encouraging it by using a calcium based substrate iis a bad idea.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
the thought behind playsand being the safer option is that a lizard lacking in calcium will attempt to source there own,if they can self supplement using the calci sand they will,therefore eating un necessary amounts of sand
playsand however has no goodness in it so is only likely to be eaten by mistake while feeding

i wouldnt use either for my leo

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
it's to do with the grain size. Playsand is very fine and tyherefore can be passed by the animal, calci sand can have much larger grains causing blockages much more easily.

Mason

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Also as mentioned before leo's will eat calci sand on purpose as a source of calcium. I really dont know why companies sell the stuff:mad:

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
ive personally never kept leos on sand... just to err on the side of caution...

i know lots of people who do and say they have never had an issue... but ive seenn pics of the horror stories of imapction which was enough to put me off..

·
Registered
270 Posts
any substrate can cause impaction if enough is eaten , its generally down to what rep you have and trial and error as to what you think is safe or not , i use newspaper for both my chams , but my leos came with calcisand , i got rid and have tried a desert substrate its like tissue paper and have had no probs with that

rob

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
it is instinct to eat sand to gain extra minerals. I seriously doubt they have any sence that tells them if one type of sand has any more calcium in it than another, they will eat it regardles. I have seen them eat vermiculite too, presumable because they think it is sand. either way, the point is, they eat it when they don't have enough calcium in their system, so as long as they are suplemented properly it shouldn't be an issue. that being said, they will ocasionaly eat a few grains when they lick the ground, miss prey etc so in that respect, the play sand has much smaller, smoother grains that will pass through much easier than the calcium carbonate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts