Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, my 150W ceramic bulbs are blowing. More to the point, the fuse is (hopefully it is just the fuse too!).

My setup was working well on a 300W Habistat until I went to check the temps a few days ago to find nothing was working. The fuses had blown on the ceramic bulb and the stat, but the heatmat (also running on the stat) was fine. Changed the fuse in the stat, which now works fine. Changed the fuse on the bulb, fizz pop, another fuse gone. Tried another bulb, fizz pop, fuse has gone again and the bulb now rattles.

Firstly, are my bulbs now dodos?
Secondly, what do you reckon is causing this?
Thirdly, how can I stop it?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Almost certainly cooked wires in the holders.
Fuses (and thermostats) will usually be blown by a short circuit on the heater or its associated wiring.
With 150 watt ceramics, they are very high power heaters and really should be controlled with a proportional thermostat so that they are rarely turned full on.
This would reduce the danger of cooked wires.
Also, most every ceramic holder (with the exception of the Euro Rep ones) are fitted with PVC cable. This is not able to withstand the high temperatures ceramics achieve. Only high temperature (and expensive) silicon cable should be used.
Finally check that the ceramics are tight in the holders. If they have worked loose then then can be arcing and generating even more heat in the holders to cook the insulation off your wires!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply! So do you think I'm using too high a wattage bulb?
I gather I need to replace the wiring, can you suggest a suitable replacement?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Not necessarily too big a heater- that depends on the size of your cage and the temperature required.
Temperature thermostats are on/ off devices so will run your heater flat out and then completely off. This is what is damaging the wiring very quickly.
With a pulse proportional it will run all the time albeit at a lower level.
This means that the cable and the holder are rarely exposed to the highest temperatures the ceramic can achieve.
Proper silicon cable is hard to get and not cheap but this is the stuff you need.
Euro Rep Ltd - Europes largest manufacturer and distributor of Reptile Products

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, thanks peter.

I'll be getting some monies together, my snake will be ok for a little while in her old viv, it's a little small, but it'll do.

Thanks again for all your help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts