Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get a good look at my mourning gecko. She's gained a bit of weight but there is something wrong with her jaw (the bit at the front is protruding downwards and she was breathing very heavily. Inside her mouth was read, not sure if it was swollen or something but if it was that could explain the difficulty in breathing.

She slipped away before I could catch her again so I didn't get a better look at what could be wrong but does anyone have any ideas? Will get her to the vets once I catch her but not sure what they will be able to do she is so tiny :cry: I'm also worried that the trip will stress her out because it will take at least 45 minutes to get to the reptile vets (that's providing there are no accidents on the road!) :cry:

·
Registered
33 Posts
yep definately sounds like it could be mouthrot(stomatitis) best off taking it to a vet for confirmation and treatment, if diagnosed and treated early you shouldn't have any problems

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got her seperated, given her some food and some critical care formula. She still seems to have a lot of strength to her. Its not a calcium deficiency I know that much, her calcium sacs are healthy. Hopefully the vet will be able to find out the cause even but she is so tiny I don't know how they'll do most of the tests :cry: It was bad enough with Ricki (my sand gecko) and Ayre is far smaller! :cry:

P.S. I don't think she likes been in her quarentine vivarium!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just noticed she seems to have some shed skin left around her hind feet :( Have only just been able to see becayse she's spred her toes wide. Given her a spray to increase the humidity so hopefully that will help :(

I'm wondering if some bullying has been going on again (was a problem in the past but I haven't noticed any since they've been together again). Will be keeping the two seperate permanently now. Don't think I can sleep tonight :cry:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so :cry: She's actually pulling off the shed skin now so she might have recently shed, think I've been getting worked up over nothing there. What a fantastic start to 2007, think these last 2 weeks have been a nightmare! :cry: Must have had my run of bad luck now :cry:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Silvershark said:
I hope so :cry: She's actually pulling off the shed skin now so she might have recently shed, think I've been getting worked up over nothing there. What a fantastic start to 2007, think these last 2 weeks have been a nightmare! :cry: Must have had my run of bad luck now :cry:
awwwww it'll all be fine hun

hugs hugs
Jay

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope so :cry: She's trying to remove her shed skin but because of her mouth is having trouble doing it and it looks as if she's damaging her toes! :cry: She's too small for me to help her.

Will have to sterilise the other vivarium tomorrow. Skye is fine (she's actually gravid again and eating like a horse) which makes me think she has been bullying her.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called the vet today, because of the snow vet said not to take her there as it could take us 1 1/2 hours to get there in this weather :cry: She did however say to treat her mouth with Betadine which we got from the chemist. Just checking but it needs to be diluted to 1% is that right?

Will give her a dose of that and see if I can sort out her toes as well, I'll use the betadine for that as well to stop any infections. I've raised her temps as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I cant think of anything else to suggest...Im sure she wil be fine, she sounds like a little fighter...gdluck with her xx

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I think she got a bit of the Betadine solution around her mouth (don't have anything small enough to clean out the inside) and I put some on her toes as well, the last of the shed skin looks as if it will come off soon. It was a bit stressful for her though but hopefully she'll settle down soon.

Just hope she's been treated for the right thing!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Aww i hope your little geckos going to be ok. How do they get mouthrot :oops:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Various reasons, husbandry problems, poor nutrition, stress, parasites, trauma...

Here are a couplke of articles about mouth rot - http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=17&cat=1796&articleid=2385

http://www.pkreptiles.com/informationterms/articles/mouthrot.asp

Problem is I'm not even 100% sure that is IS mouth rot because she hasn't had all of the symptoms though was salivating a bit this morning. And if it is, I don't know what the primary problem is! I suspect it could maybe be bullying as that was a problem before though I haven't noticed any bullying between them. Or maybe some problems with her laying eggs, or maybe a combination of both...

I think I'll need to get a bit of calcium in her. Comparing the calciums sacs of my two geckos hers are maybe half the size of the others so that needs to be sorted. She's got the Crested Gecko MRP for dinner so that should be nice and easy for her to lap up. Would mash some waxworms up for her but if its to do with nutrition I guess it'll be better giving her something healthier.

She has a bit more weight on her tail, I'm hoping its because she has gained weight and not because of swelling or anything like that though!

I'm trying to avoid checking up on her too much because I don't want to stress her out but I keep wanting to make sure she is okay!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.