Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
dont Scrub pythons also occur in indonesia such as GTPs? cant be sure but thats probably why, they may not have laws as strict as the Aussies?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Snake Bag

I can reccall seeing when i was young that snakes were sometimes transported in bags.

I can recall seeing a snake show at my school where a guy pulled a snake out of a bag. Is this safe for the snake?

Does anyone here transport there snake in some sort of bag?

What about a pillow case tied up properly?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but i'm just curious. :?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yep, that's it 8)

No, actually Scrubs and GTP's inhabit the northern cape of Queensland Australia and most of New Guinea. They're not found in Indonesia.

The localities are apparent in the name, eg GTP's Biak, Aru, Sorong etc.

The Australian authorites don't allow WC exports of any kind, so the WC scrubs you see for sale will be one of the New Guinea localities.

Hope this helps, For more info PM me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i was looking on exotic pets, and i found this
Scrub Python or Anethsyine Python - Morelia amethysina
in the box, it says (wc) 1m+scrub python.

but scrub pythons are australian, and i thought australia banned all exports, and have made it illegal to remove any animal from the wild. can somone please explain.

Be careful, the website have spelt it incorrectly, it's AMETHYSTINE. I wouldn't trust them, call me old fashioned but how good can they be when they don't even spell the name correctly!

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
Biak island/Aru island and the province of sorong are all Indonesian territory,only half of the mainland of New Guinea is actually papua New guinea,other locales under Indonesian ownership are Manokwari/Yappen island/Missool island also wamena and bokondini and merauke locales, the fact is that papua New Guinea does not export whereas Indonesia does so all the popular collecting localities are in Indonesia,usually in or around protected areas where snakes are abundant and close to airstrips for ease of transport
regards gaz
PS: smuggling of Australian animals is or was widespread any ways,whetre do you think all the indigenous Australian species we keep came from,they are all technically illegal under international law and definately illegal under Australian law,i have had some dialogue with the federal Australian Government on this score and their attitude is that the horse is long outta the stables now,apart from the fact that it was their own wildlife officers who were doing the bulk of the trafficking,ironically they contacted me with the idea of re-importing some species as this was considered easier than getting Australian permits for collecting in one state and exporting to another,how daft is that??

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I can reccall seeing when i was young that snakes were sometimes transported in bags.

I can recall seeing a snake show at my school where a guy pulled a snake out of a bag. Is this safe for the snake?

Does anyone here transport there snake in some sort of bag?

What about a pillow case tied up properly?

Sorry if the question sounds stupid but i'm just curious. :?
I take my snakes to be probed and checked over in a pillow case, they are all still only around 3.5 feet max, my GF puts them up her jumper when in the car.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
damn your eye for detail retic!!!how about fak fak?? gotta be open to abuse that one lol
regards gaz

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Be careful, the website have spelt it incorrectly, it's AMETHYSTINE. I wouldn't trust them, call me old fashioned but how good can they be when they don't even spell the name correctly!
That said, there are a number of reputable shops who call them "Collard" lizards (Collard being a type of spring greens) instead of "Collared" lizards (as in "having a Collar").

A misspelled common name isn't the end of the world. I'd be more concerned about the fact that they sell such a wide range of WC animals that are not guaranteed feeders (as one adult royal is specifically described) - delivered to your door.

At least a brick-and-mortar shop or a knowledgeable breeder, if they don't think you're capable of caring for the animal, can refuse the sale.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the replys, learn somthing new every day lol,
i wouldnt personally buy a WC giant snake, throught fear of it not taming, and killing me:shock: i also dont have the room for another biggie:lol2: , just wondering if it was a legal import, or underhand transaction:crazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts