Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soon going to have some lovely Mantids and I'm really excited, been doing LOTS of reading (my eyes hurt!) but still have a feq questions.

1. How will I know when the mantid has shed?
  2. How long does the average mantid live?
The ones I'm getting are L2's so I would just like to know how I'll know when they're L3's and L4's and so on......

Also a little worried about feeding so any help on that also appreciated, thank you :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm soon going to have some lovely Mantids and I'm really excited, been doing LOTS of reading (my eyes hurt!) but still have a feq questions.

1. How will I know when the mantid has shed?
  2. How long does the average mantid live?
The ones I'm getting are L2's so I would just like to know how I'll know when they're L3's and L4's and so on......

Also a little worried about feeding so any help on that also appreciated, thank you :2thumb:
:welcome: to the world of mantids. You will soon have loads, lol.

You will know when it has shed as there will be a nice empty skin on the bottom of the enclosure and you will have a bigger mantis :lol2:

They live for about 12-18 months. At L2 you will have it for most of its lifespan. They shed quite regularly when they are young. Expect it to become adult quite quickly. Once it is adult it will stop shedding.

What species are you getting? The best thing to feed them is fruit flies when they are young and then move on to greenbottles and bluebottles when they are bigger. : victory:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Im gonna butt in on this thread. Sorry.

How do you know when a mantis is getting enough to eat? Like I have been told a couple / few times a week but haven't been told how much.

With my T's if the abdomen is starting to get a bit plump I lay off feeding for a little while. Is there any way to tell if your mantis is getting too much?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting a peacock and 3 orchids, I would love a flower one too I might get one - I chose them all because they're all really pretty (and probably girlie lol) but it was hard choosing I think they're all awesome.

The Peacock is a third instar so I'm guessing not such a baby as the Orchids which will be seconds?

Are they less hardy when they're young??

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best thing to feed them is fruit flies when they are young and then move on to greenbottles and bluebottles when they are bigger. : victory:
where can I get enough fruit flies for 4-5 mantids?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The best bet is to grow them yourself .. Get a culture first and after a couple of days you have your first batch .. Keep them in the fridge and they live longer .. Once you have some flies you can setup a new culture .. get a crix tub, put some mashed bananas and moist cotton wool in, then cut a suqare bit out of the lid, put some of that netting stuff (right word ?) you use for the mantis tanks over it, and close the lid .. done is your own culture ...

MAKE SURE YOU GET FLYING ONES !!! There are some shops selling flight less fruit flies .... mantis should get flying ones :)

Or, get some of those larvae bait from the local fishing shop :) They will hatch into flies :D

Oh and the easiest way to feed them (without losing them in your house LOL) - make a hole in the tub of the fruit flies .. then put a straw in, seal it with some hot glue .. then you can "shake" them into the tank :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm getting 3 peacocks tomorrow, they're my first mantids too. Good luck : victory:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting 3 peacocks tomorrow, they're my first mantids too. Good luck : victory:
cool we can be newbies together :2thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm getting my first cockroaches, too :) It's surprising how excited you get over a few bugs!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Im gonna butt in on this thread. Sorry.

How do you know when a mantis is getting enough to eat? Like I have been told a couple / few times a week but haven't been told how much.

With my T's if the abdomen is starting to get a bit plump I lay off feeding for a little while. Is there any way to tell if your mantis is getting too much?
Yeh, it's the same as with T's. Go by how fat they are, lol. Although you will be surprised at how much mantids can eat. I feed my nymphs every day and the bigger ones every other day :2thumb:

I'm getting a peacock and 3 orchids, I would love a flower one too I might get one - I chose them all because they're all really pretty (and probably girlie lol) but it was hard choosing I think they're all awesome.

The Peacock is a third instar so I'm guessing not such a baby as the Orchids which will be seconds?

Are they less hardy when they're young??
Some species are tough as nails as soon as they come out of the ooth. But generally they are stronger from 2nd-3rd instar. Not many people will sell them at 1st instar for this reason.

You can get ready made cultures from livefood websites. One of these should last a few weeks, hatching out new flies when the original ones have all died. Just put some fruit in with them every few days or so!

I wouldn't worry about messing about making your own cultures, it's pretty fiddly and not really worth it if you only have 4 mouths to feed. lol.

They won't be on fruit flies for long anyway before they are moving onto greenbottles. Then you will have fun with maggots from the fishing shop :2thumb:

Gomjaba - flightless ones are fine for mantids, it just means they don't fly everywhere when you open the lid, lol. :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they're really beautiful pictures thank you for posting them, has anyone got pictures of their mantis set ups??

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
My orchid mantis arrived yesterday.. but arrived dead :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Aww that's sad :( I hope mine are okay.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess there is always that risk when you're moving live animals but what a shame, is it going to be replaced?

·
Registered
322 Posts
My mantids all arrived safely this morning, and I even got an extra one free :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mantids all arrived safely this morning, and I even got an extra one free :2thumb:
yes me too lol maybe we should tell Tamz where we ordered from they're obviously better :2thumb:

mine are settled in their new cups (which look vast compared to their tiny sizes) what have you fed yours?? I managed to catch a fruit fly for one of them which he devoured so I need to water them yet???

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well I got mine from Virginia Cheeseman :)
Mine are smaller than I expected and look a bit lost in their setups too :lol2:
I haven't fed them anything yet but I have some fruit fly culture and may get some micro crickets too. I've just sprayed a little water in their pots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts