Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be worried? A terrarium is in the same condition as before, temperatures and humidity are perfect if I can trust my thermostats. I don't handle my bally often, really only when I weigh it.

I've had it for 1,5 years now and before this off-feed, it ate every time I offered food; rats and mouses in different shape, size and colour. We had no problems.

(However, one miracle happened and it ate four 30g mouses in March, but after and before it, nothing. Everything has been a no-no. It does notice the prey, is interested, sniffs it but then it just retreats.)

I'm taking it to vet tomorrow, in case of internal parasite etc, but its behaviour has stayed otherwise the same. It doesn't seem to be sick, but you never know. Maybe it is 'the 1000g wall'? It now weighs 983 grams and if I remember correctly it weighed 800-900g when it went off food. :?

Have you had a similar situation with your reptiles? How long it did take before your snake stared to eat again? I know they can go without food for some good time, but when I should be really worried? When it loses 20% of its weigh?

Thanks for answers and thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,001 Posts
My 10 yr old Royal hasn't eaten since November, he has gone a full year before on a fast. He is like yours, has a sniff and then doesn't eat. But having had him from a hatchling I know that when he is ready to eat he just starts eating again so I've learnt not to worry. I just keep an eye on his weight and the viv temperatures, give him fresh water and offer food once a month. I keep a feeding record for him so I can see when he did last eat.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Had a male that went on a fast for almost 10 months when he was around 3 years old...

Perfectly normal for royals to fast

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't keep royals but this thread just reminded me of another I recently read where someone was raving about multimammates especially for royal pythons. Have any of you tried/had any experience with them?

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
I don't keep royals but this thread just reminded me of another I recently read where someone was raving about multimammates especially for royal pythons. Have any of you tried/had any experience with them?
Multis are usually a good option to tempt fussy royals, I've heard they go crazy for them. However, you always get the odd one that doesn't follow the rules, my royal is a super fussy eater, won't touch rats, multis and turns her nose up at mice. She loves day old chicks though, so I use those to get her back onto food and then scent other prey items with chick guts - she goes crazy for it!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Multis and small hamsters can help if the fast is down to the snake simply not being interested in mice. If the fast is down to the breeding season (and most are) then it simply won't be interested in eating anything, no matter how tasty it may be :)

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
I bred multis before and used to give them to my royals as part of a varied diet along with chicks and rats but never bothered trying them if the fasting is during breeding season and the snake has fed well before then.

As malc says, it's usually down to the season not the snake suddenly becoming fussy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts