Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My BRB is being moved to a larger viv that I have custom made. So I now have a smaller tank (2ft x 1ft x 1ft) spare. I've always wanted bearded dragons but would this be big enough? (for babies ofcourse). I would have a bigger viv built for them but just looking for thoughts on this. Any help on raising baby beardies is also welcome. I have read up on them but looking for the opinion of people with experience ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply =]
yeah. I'm looking to buy two. Preferably females as I'm not looking to breed (yet, atleast) and to stop fighting when older...or at least help prevent it as I hear males can be aggressive towards each other. Would move them onto a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft viv (same as my brb) perhaps stacked. Would just need to build it so theyd be in the smaller tank for around 2-3 months?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
=]

thanks for the quick reply =]
yeah. I'm looking to buy two. Preferably females as I'm not looking to breed (yet, atleast) and to stop fighting when older...or at least help prevent it as I hear males can be aggressive towards each other. Would move them onto a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft viv (same as my brb) perhaps stacked. Would just need to build it so theyd be in the smaller tank for around 2-3 months?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Most babies will have outgrown a 2' tank by the time they're 2-3 months old; as they will be 1.5-2 months when you get them, a larger vivarium would be a good idea. It's also extremely hard to maintain sufficient gradients in a 2' tank unless you have it open-topped (meshed)...

As a word of warning, they are impossible to sex 100% accurately until they are around 6 months old. Not all shops are honest about this (in fact, not all shops are honest about a lot of things...) and may claim that they are 100% sexed. If you get anything other than 2 females you will need to split them up by the time they are 6 months or so old. Two males will begin to fight, and a male with a female will attempt to breed with her. Allowing a female to get gravid before she's large enough can sometimes prove to be fatal.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Assuming it is 6+ week old beardies that you would be buying, I would say that 2x1x1 would be far too small for one in a matter of weeks, let alone 2.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
when bought mine i had her in a 2ft by 15x15 viv

but she grew that fast that within 2 weeks of havin her she needed an upgrade

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My beardie grew sooooooo quick!!! They are only small for a very short time. Maybe a leo would be better:)

Sarah x

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Na, got my heart set on a beardie ^^
And hopefully should have the stack finished by the end of next week =D
In the end it'l be 2x (5ft x 2ft x 2ft) - one for 2 beardies, one for my brb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts