Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to faf about a bit but now got some spawn.

I put some in my pond about 3 years ago and from that I seem to have two adult Females that have returned for the second year (the garden is totally enclosed). I realised I had a lack of Males last year when the girls were forced to release their spawn but it was not feretillised :-(

Anyway the girls were both back this year almost two weeks ago but I couldn't find any Males to add to the group until a mate said yesterday that his Mum had loads of Frogs at her house. After a quick visit I had a male in my pond (who had probably already been mating with the girls in his own pond)

Sods law and it seems Male Frogs are like busses as tonight we got a call from another freind who had two Frogs in her pond that is not even fully built yet, they both turned out to be Males and on poping them into my pond I found the Male from yesterday sat guarding a clump of spawn!

Not sure if both girls have layed yet so hoping that one of the two new boys will do the deed with her, although reading up it seems that they will grab hold of spawn and try to get there genes in there in the abcence of a partner so should have some fertile eggs this year!

(The first borrowed Male is going home in a couple of days but the two from the unfinished pond may be staying to do the business next yr)

SURELY IT REALLY SHOULDNT BE THIS HARD :lol2:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Nice one Marcus.
It takes 3 years for them to mature so once they get started you should have a continuation for the future.
More females and more males and you`ll be forced out due to the sheer numbers lol.
Well it`s a nice thought anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every time I have been out to check the first Male has been sat with the spawn calling, but I've just found the smaller of the new Males sat with them, so hopefully he is contributing his genes to them too:2thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts