Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I sold my Royal Python Sultan on Friday as I really needed the money and was one of few things I had to sell that that would bring money quickly.
Luckily or more unluckily for me as now my lovely snake has gone, I finally managed to get some computer spares sold the day after I delivered Sultan :(

I don't have enough to buy Sultan back or start all over again as all the equipment was sold with the snake. I miss having an exotic already, it's only been just over a day! I have 4 cats and an aviary of birds but it's not quite the same is it. So, I'm considering getting a Chile Rose as it's fairly cheap to buy one and set up a home for it. I'm not a fan of spiders and really freak when I see a spider in the house lol, Tarantulas on the other hand don't bother me :confused:

Now then, I have been reading up on them for a couple of hours so I have a good idea of what's what before I buy one, if I can get one. Lots of places sell these or the Exo Terra Terrarium as suitable spider housings.

What I don't understand is how they are any good for maintaining a suitable humidity level when both the tops of them are like collenders :?

Are these really ok, or would a non perforated lid be more suitable like some fish tanks that have a plastic lid?

I do like the Exo Terra Terrariums as they are one of the more attractive options I've come across but will only consider one if it's going to be ok for keeping the humidity at the correct level.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

G

·
Hi Simate

I keep my T's in a medium or large geo whick are pretty much the same as the adult starter kit on the spider shop site.For me the T's seem to prefer to have a larger air flow so you need to have good ventilation on the tank.What i tend to do is put in a deep substrate and then half bury a small flower pot and it is this that then hols the humidity.In all honesty with most T's they prefer to have a low humidity rather than a constant one.I just overflow the water dish a little everytime i fill it up and this seems to do the job perfectly.I have now been keeping T's for around 8 years and never had a problem with them in this type of set-up and i have never had a T that has had trouble molting.

Hope this helps you in some way.

BTW i have a G.rosea(Chilean rose) and a B.smithii(Mecican red knee) housed in this way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
simate said:
Greenphase said:
The geo is a type of tank

I keep my adult red knee in one of these

http://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1258

What i did was cut a small hole in the lid so i could put a 25 watt golf ball bulb(red) in the tank and as my room is heated i do not use heat mats
Aha, thanks for that. I think I'll get the Exo Terra :)
if your after an exo terra check this site they got them on offer at the mo for 20 quid,,ive ordered off this guy and always got next day delivery off him,good after sales advice too

www.reptilekeeping.net

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
to be honest what housing you need depends on what size of T your planning on getting, as Ryan said the Chile rose does not like high humidity anyway, infact they prefer the setups dry and you can keep up a little humidity by shallow water sorce in one corner, i lightly mist once every couple of weeks and this seems to have worked well for mine with regards to moulting etc...i have several T's that need high humidity and at the moment they are in petpals which i simply tape up air vents leaving a few little corners open for air and spray every day, they are also nearer the heat sorce... :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike mc said:
simate said:
Greenphase said:
The geo is a type of tank

I keep my adult red knee in one of these

http://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1258

What i did was cut a small hole in the lid so i could put a 25 watt golf ball bulb(red) in the tank and as my room is heated i do not use heat mats
Aha, thanks for that. I think I'll get the Exo Terra :)
if your after an exo terra check this site they got them on offer at the mo for 20 quid,,ive ordered off this guy and always got next day delivery off him,good after sales advice too

www.reptilekeeping.net
Ooh that's a bargain, thankyou, would this heat mat be the right size. the tank is 30x30cm and the heat mat is 20x20cm ( http://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=52_56&products_id=778 ) or is that mat too big? If not what about this one ( http://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=52_56&products_id=378 ) I'm just not sure what temp it's capable of outputting.

I'd be doing my best to aquire an adult or near as damn it, I assume the 30x30 cm tank would be big enough for it?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
thats the one ive got under my spider tank mate,,it works fine

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
mine is the smallest one it works fine mate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts