Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering, was anyone here a lil nervous of spiders or have a phobia before getting into them? ive got a slight phobia of them, and they always have them in the shops when i go to pick up food for my geckos, but lately ive started to get some interest in them but still a little nervous. will it be something i'll just get over if im taking interest in them?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glad im not the only one! but im more nervous of spiders with colour than the ones that are just black. not sure if thats weird or not! :?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know plenty people who get one to over their fear and it usaully works,would start off with a chile rose as they really easy gentle spiders.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They are a lovely pet Leogirl (we have 40 ish.... 30+ different types)
I agree with Spit a Chile Rose is a lovely one to start with my Daughter Lu has one. I also had a Red Knee a few years ago that would happily climb onto your hand. I also agree with Nicky some you have to be wary of but these are the ones you wouldn't have as a starter spider. I dont like all T's though the Indian Ornamental type make my flesh crawl in fact any type that has the thin body & over long legs does absolutely nothing for me

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
spit said:
I know plenty people who get one to over their fear and it usaully works,would start off with a chile rose as they really easy gentle spiders.
Chile Rose is an odd spider, I got one for my little brother in the hope it would let him hold it, but the thing is insane (im beginning to wonder if it was wild caught :().

It so aggressive have to take out its water dish with 15cm tweezers else id get bitten lol and even then it attacks the side of the tank and gives the tweezers threat poses. Its kind of cute if I didnt fear for my life :roll:

Id personally suggest a red knee as a first tarantula as ive yet to come across an evil one lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
my chillie is lovely!! the people on this forum have really helped!!

and as a reply to the original post... I'm doing it too, my spider is here to help me get over my fears!!

good lck

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I have chile rose (G rosea) and several mexican red knees (B smithi)
and to be honest it just depends, my chile although flighty (moves fast with any movement of tank) you can get on your hand, but my bigger smithi all though calm and does'nt move an inch with any movement will flick hairs like mad when hassled....but to be honest really its best not to attempt to hold or interfear with any T, watching them in their mini habitat you've made them is where the joy is so you would have no problem with either species.....i have lots of differant species now, some arborial and some terrestial and its fascinating to see the differant ways they reconstuct their tanks and build there burrows or tube webs..... :D :D just go for it and then you will be hooked..

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I got a chillian rose to get over my phobia, now I'm hooked, I have many more coming in the new year. It will be one of the best decisions you ever made.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If you can try to get a Grammostola pulchra, these are better known as the brazilian black, indeed placid just like its chilean rose counterpart. Very stunning once shed and keeps a deep silky black for a long time up until the next moult.
Curly hairs are also a good starter spider, brachypelma's are nice display spiders but will readily flick hairs as nicky has said, still nice though but if you get the red knee have a shop around as there are some poor quality ones in terms of colour.
You could go for a mexican true red leg which can hold their colours quite well, heres a pic of ours.

·
Registered
968 Posts
to be honest i dont really like spiders but we have one, we looked it up on the net bout her and it said there were cases of 2comas, 1 death and you need medical advise within 20-30 mins.. but i still get her water bowl out and even give her crickets..
still shit scared of spiders though.. :lol2:

she is a fromosa ornamentle

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got my Vanessa even tho i was afraid of them,

i saw one on TV when i was a child and thought it was the best thing ever i always wanted one and when the opportunity arose i got one,

then i worried about how i was gonna get her into her viv being so afraid, after a while i realized she was nothing too be scared of and now i wouldnt be without her,

even my mum has held her and she is terrified of spiders

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one day i might be brave enough to get one and get over the fear. might stick to lizards for a bit since they dont scare me lol :smile:

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
I'm scared of spiders but they interest me, im gonna hold one when i go to the zoo hopefully, to see if i really am that scared.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Ok this might be a dumb question to you spiderguys but Im more of a snake expert but what is hair flicking and what does it do. does it hurt or anything like that. :lol2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
yer you can get over your fear but it not hard if you have wil i got my mates to hold my chilly and they alll were scared now they wont stop pestering me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts