Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Assuming the Spider royal is a heterozygous spider (most of them will be):

50% chance per egg of normal (these are NOT het for spider)
50% chance per egg of heterozygous Spider (these LOOK like Spiders).

·
Registered
525 Posts
spider is a dominant morph so no matter what you breed it to you will get a spider or spider morph....or the odd god could be completely against you!! breed a pastel to the spider instead!!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
spider is a dominant morph so no matter what you breed it to you will get a spider or spider morph
Just because Spider is dominant doesn't mean every baby from a visual Spider will BE a spider.

Dominant is not the same thing as Homozygous.

Dominant only means that a het looks exactly the same as a homozygous.
Homozygous means both copies of the gene are the same and therefore the animal will ALWAYS pass on a copy.

Spider is apparently a dominant gene, so that means a heterozygous spider (with one copy of Spider and one copy of Not-Spider - and equal chances of passing each to any given offspring) looks exactly like homozygous spider (with two copies of Spider and which will produce 100% Spider offspring).

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
You most certainly CAN get a heterozygous spider.

What you *can't* get is a normal-looking animal that is "het for spider".

If the animal is het for Spider it IS a Spider - that's what Spider being a dominant gene does.

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
oh dear, here we go again...

i'm understand what you've just posted chrissi, but this is going to screw soo many peoples heads up !!!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
i'm understand what you've just posted, but this is going to screw soo many peoples heads up !!!
If it screws their heads up, it's their own fault for not reading what the definitions actually are and just using the "reptile keepers shorthand which is often wrong" instead.

Dominant is not the same thing as homozygous.
Heterozygous is not the same thing as "hidden recessive".

Dominant means only that a het looks the same as a homozygous.
Recessive means that only homozygous looks different.
Codominant means that a het looks different to a homozygous or a noncarrier.

Heterozygous means only that the two genes of the pair are different and doesn't tell you anything about how the animal looks unless you define the gene as dominant, recessive or codominant.
Homozygous means only that the two genes of the pair are the same.

BTW, Alan, I very much prefer Ssthisto - it *is* my middle name after all :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.