Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i really want a t and wonna asure my gf about them .

if i were to get a tarantula and i somehow got biten is there a quick method i can do to help myself?

would i need to go to hostpital?

could i die fast ?

just wonna know these things

if i were to try handling how would i kind of tame the t top be nice and things ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
unless you go get a crazy one with a really powerful venom dont worry about it

most are not much more powerful than a wasp/bee sting but there play on a diffrent ball game, these are neurone toxins and affect the brain but unless your a complete tit you wont get bitten

·
Registered
126 Posts
nope, if i was bitten though (uncommon, i was worried about it when i got my first T, I'm pretty sure you won't get bitten)

if i was bitten i would tie something around the limb to stop the blood flow and therefore stop the poison traveling around my body

i would go find its scientific name write it down and go to A and E and beg them to look at me immediately

the most dangerous T you can get without a DWA would be the baboon IMO

HTH

steve

ps. im telling you as a fact, it is very very very unlikely you will get bitten if you just use common sense, i am guessing you will not be handleing the T

·
Registered
41 Posts
As Steve says, it is unlikely that you would get bitten because any sensible keeper either avoids handling their spider or keeps handling to the absolute bare minimum.

Spiders are not pets that should be handled - they are suprisingly fragile and may be injured more easily than you think if they fall from your hands or you accidently squash them - their abdomens can split open like chicken eggs dropped on the floor. As a rule they should be appreciated purely as display animals only, and pleasure gained from observing their behaviour in the habitat you create for them.

If you decide that you want to buy a spider then do plenty of research first - you need to find out things like what sort of tank it needs, what substrate (bedding or soil) you need to put on the floor of the tank and what temperature the tank should be kept at.

A good beginners species is the Chilean Rose tarantula - these are quite calm and are beautiful to look at, and if needs be, can be handled for short periods. If you must handle your spider then do it in the bath with your hands just an inch or so from the bottom - this way the spider wont get hurt if it falls from your hands and it wont be able to climb the sides of the bath to escape. Also if by any chance you do get bitten (I'd say a 1 in 300 chance unless you're really stupid) their venom is very mild.

Hannah

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Also worth bearing in mind along with all the other good points here, dont forget people get analphylactic shock when stung by a bee/wasp and the same could happen with a T bite, you will never know how your body will react until the unfortunate happens, Best way is to always try 110% to not get bit.
I think you should do some research maybe get a book from local library if you dont want to buy one, and slowly take it from there, thats my best advice.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
the best thing to do if you scared of getting bitten is get a docile specimen a chili rose or a red knee and handle it as little as possible or not at all. if you have to put you hands into the cage have a 12 inch plastic ruler to hand as it is great for directing away your little critter if it decides to come and investigate.

again if you get tagged you should be fine unless your allergic which you wont know untill its to late...

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Another point worth raising is that if you are not allergic to bee/wasp stings it doesnt mean your not allergic to spider bites or scorpion stings. They are a totally different toxin so even if you have been stung by a bee/wasp and you were ok, doesn't mean that you will be from spider/scorpion venom.

But as said in previous posts; its very very unlikly you will get bitten unless you decide to sit there pissing it off all day.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
what if you chose to start handeling your spider would you have to do it gradually ever day or 2?

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
not constructive I know, but I know someone who got bit by one of his T's, a chillean rose I think, and he said it was like being a bit hungover, head ache, slight inability to focus on anything

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Do you mean choose to handle for pleasure? If so it really does depend on the type of spider you have. If its a chili rose than you should have a problem at all, they are very docile, dont flick hairs and will happily walk onto your hand if placed next to it. A redknee may also walk onto your hand, but they are prone for hair flicking, some evn end up with a bold spot on their back due to flicking hairs. Then if you get something a little more nervous like a pinktoe you could end up getting hairs flicked at you, and these are very very fast spiders and often decide to just leg it at the first chance they get. If they do leg it it would be very hard to catch.

Spiders have a pretty bad memory so no matter how often you handle them, they often forget about the last time any way. If you do decide to start handling I would recomend not to handle for more than 5 minutes at a time as they get easily stressed.

In my opionion you should only handle them if you have no other choice.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
If you really want one you can handle (and many people do this, its my opinion not to) then I would say go for a chili rose and nothing more. When adults they will just sit on your hand without hardly moving at all. Yet a spiderlig or juvanile will run all over the joint.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
yeh i saw a thai black which was quiet cheap and was tempted but i thought gonna be to dangerous for a beginer

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Yes, your right, a thi black is not for a beginer, I know they are very beautiful but I would stay away until you get more expeirence. Also a thai black is deffenate no no when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Spiders have a pretty bad memory so no matter how often you handle them, they often forget about the last time any way. If you do decide to start handling I would recomend not to handle for more than 5 minutes at a time as they get easily stressed..
I beg to differ on the memory thing, T's do remember. Why does a wild caught Pink toe (Avicularia Avicularia) act aggressive towards being handled and a CB specimen does not? This is because over time they have tamed down? Just from this I would be very convinced in giving the arguement that they do remember, and a badly treated T soon can become very defensive (i.e like a normally docile Chilean Rose or pink toe).

But I do how ever agree that they are really there to be watched and not touched as they are easly stressed.

Even a regular handling with Chileans over time show signs of stress, as in Cessing to feed.

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
I was bitten by a chilean rose about 2 years ago when moving it out of the packaging it had just arrived in from an importer and into the display. I've handled maybe 100 chile roses since and before that one, and they have all been docile - but by handling, I mean minimal handling when necessary, not getting them out and stroking them.

The one that bit me was very grumpy and i honestly didn't notice it at first. I had some aches and pains, like i'd sprained my wrist/arm muscle and a bit faint at first - I kept working and drank lots of fluids, no need to go to a doctor or E&R unless you actually have a bad reaction to it. It is possible to have an allergic reaction just like a bee sting.

I might add that I'm kinda "pudgy", well.. lets just say I have a few extra pounds on me and i think that just like any poison, it goes by bodyweight - it's going to pack a lot more bite to a very small person or a child than a big person.

I would not handle any other spider than a chile rose myself, and then certainly not for pleasure but only if needs must.

We used to have quite a number of Indian Ornamentals in the shop and I dreaded even feeding them, damn they were fast

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a Mexican Red Knee (vanessa) she's Beautiful and handleable,

Whenever she gets loose she always come's back to me, I keep her locked so she dosn't escape often maybe 2ce in the time ive had her, i find when i go into the viv to feed her and check her water ect she always comes towards me and climbs onto me, i take her out for a min or two and then pop her back,which she makes very difficult, she seems to enjoy being handled

i Had a friend used to have a chillian rose he handled it all the time,
my friend was bitten once by his chilli rose and he got a nose bleed, it didn't affect him other than that,

i never used to handle my costa rican zebra he didnt like it,

maybe it varies with different spiders

1 - 20 of 20 Posts