Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, my local shop has a spotted python, and I looked at the very few care sheets and couldn't find what temperature or humidity they need or if they need UV bulbs, enclosure, wise, I will be getting a 24"x23"x15" but I wanted to check if this size is ok for one before I order, and if anyone has kept them, any tips onlooking after them, also, does anyone know of any decent caresheets for them.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I kept one years ago, they are bitey little beggers(not quite green tree bitey), constantly but really nice snakes, is it a true spotted or childrens?

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kept one years ago, they are bitey little beggers(not quite green tree bitey), constantly but really nice snakes, is it a true spotted or childrens?

The bitey ness doesn't bother me, I quite like that feisty side :lol2: its a true spotted, I asked about them in store and was told thay only get to 3-4 foot long and should make a nice second snake (I love pythons of any kind) and was also told to have branches or vines for them to climb

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
i cant remember temps for them but they are eastern australian, i think i kept mine like stimpson's which are deserty pythons eg low humidity. it was 5-6 years ago since i had them so cant remember exact figures. they are really nice snakes though, much prettier than childrens

heres a care sheet for them any how

Spotted Python - Care Sheet

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers mate, oooh, temps it say 90F so quite high, humidity low, the viv I'm getting for it looks like a perfect size, just sorting out heating now, I'll probably mount a heat mat on the back of the viv as air temps look morer important than ground temps for them

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to use ceramics but the thermostats are rather pricey for them, and it would mean re wiring and possibly replacing the light fitting which I don't feel to confident about doing in case I screw up somehow, lol, but yeah, heat mats, I get good temps with them, I suppose its just preference really

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I would like to use ceramics but the thermostats are rather pricey for them, and it would mean re wiring and possibly replacing the light fitting which I don't feel to confident about doing in case I screw up somehow, lol, but yeah, heat mats, I get good temps with them, I suppose its just preference really
yeah, everyone has their own ways and preferences. how old is the spotty?

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, everyone has their own ways and preferences. how old is the spotty?

bugger, I forgot to ask :lol: I'll ask next time I'm up there, I think it was CB 06 so its not that big, but I'll do what I did with my cali king, I'll put it into the viv but have lots of hides, maybe aabout f dotted around with lots of fake plants so it has plenty of cover

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i used to keep a adult trio of spotted pythons like you would most colubrids without problems :)
nice snakes...all the best with yours

·
Registered
25,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i used to keep a adult trio of spotted pythons like you would most colubrids without problems :)
nice snakes...all the best with yours

I just love pythons of any kind, and finding one that doesn't get to big and is easy to look after was suprisingly difficult, but now I've seen these spotted pythons, I think I'm in :lol2: and thank you Rankin dude, they are nice snakes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.