Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently incubating a couple of corn snake eggs and unfortunately they have become quite badly dimpled. Looking on google for ideas on safely increasing moisture levels and the most common recommendation I can find is to lightly spray the eggs with water.

I thought that spraying directly onto the eggs could cause them to absorb too much water? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? :whistling2:

I currently have them nestled in damp moss but was wondering if covering them with some of the moss would help with the dimples?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about breeding or incubating but even to me that doesn't sound right, sure someone will correct me for being wrong though.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I've never incubated eggs but from what I've read on here it's bad if the eggs get any water on them directly, breeders keep the substrate damp but I don't think they spray.......................but am sure someone more experienced will be able to offer better advice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Spray kitchen roll with warm water, as close to the temp that you are incubating at as possible. Lay the damp kitchen roll over the eggs and that way you do no spray the eggs directly but you raise the humidity in the egg box. It can take a few days for this to plump the eggs out but I have saved two eggs with this method this year. If you feel the kitchen roll is drying out too much just respray every few days.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
never wet the eggs and i say vermiculite is best to use moss drys to quick when you wet it only wet the vermiculite and you want it so when you squeze it water dont come out but it sticks together if you do this the eggs should pop back out by tommorow night pm me if you have problems i have incubated 6 clutchs of corns eggs in my time of herp keeping and i have only lost 2 eggs in 6 clutchs so dident do to bad

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long is it since they were laid? Eggs can dimple in the last few days before hatching.
It has only been 17 days so i definitely don't think thats the case with these, although I wish that was the case as I can't wait for them to hatch (providing they stay good)

never wet the eggs and i say vermiculite is best to use moss drys to quick when you wet it only wet the vermiculite and you want it so when you squeze it water dont come out but it sticks together if you do this the eggs should pop back out by tommorow night pm me if you have problems i have incubated 6 clutchs of corns eggs in my time of herp keeping and i have only lost 2 eggs in 6 clutchs so dident do to bad
I think I will pick some up tomorrow in that case then. Thank-you much appreciated :2thumb:

Spray kitchen roll with warm water, as close to the temp that you are incubating at as possible. Lay the damp kitchen roll over the eggs and that way you do no spray the eggs directly but you raise the humidity in the egg box. It can take a few days for this to plump the eggs out but I have saved two eggs with this method this year. If you feel the kitchen roll is drying out too much just respray every few days.

Best of luck!
The eggs already have kitchen roll under the lid as I was getting a little bit of condensation on the inside of the lid and didn't want it to get on the eggs, and have let it in there slightly damp but thank-you :2thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.