Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I am very worried here as I have 2 blue tailed fire belly newts and 3 chinese fire belly newts.All 5 of them were in the same tank until I found out that both of my blue tails have a problem.They have been with me for 5 months without problems and this suddenly popped up.1 of them lost 3 hands(1 of the hand with the bone left and the other 2 is just a limb without toes)the 4th leg is fine and also the tail tip is gone(no bone either)and it wasn't like that 1 1/2 day ago(got worst)it seems to have "spread",is it some kind of disease?The other one on the other hand is much better and only lost 1 toe of which the bone is still there.
PLEASE HELP ME ASAP,VERY WORRIED HERE.

regards,
Fiona

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello,

I would suggest getting your newts to a vet as soon as possible. There are various possible causes of such signs, but infection would be amongst them, and a vet would be in a position to try to determine likely causative organisms and the appropriate treatment.

Having said, I would check all your water parameters very carefully.

Hope yo can get them sorted out.

Bruce.

Hi,I am very worried here as I have 2 blue tailed fire belly newts and 3 chinese fire belly newts.All 5 of them were in the same tank until I found out that both of my blue tails have a problem.They have been with me for 5 months without problems and this suddenly popped up.1 of them lost 3 hands(1 of the hand with the bone left and the other 2 is just a limb without toes)the 4th leg is fine and also the tail tip is gone(no bone either)and it wasn't like that 1 1/2 day ago(got worst)it seems to have "spread",is it some kind of disease?The other one on the other hand is much better and only lost 1 toe of which the bone is still there.
PLEASE HELP ME ASAP,VERY WORRIED HERE.

regards,
Fiona

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It could well be a bacterial infection, Chinese newts are quite commonly affected by bacterial infections that cause ulcers or eat away at limbs. It's possible they've been harbouring an infection since you've had them and a change in conditions has bought it on. The good news is if you can stop it the missing bits should grow back, best thing to do is get a vet to swab it and see if he can give you a treatment. In the mean time keep them clean and cool them down slightly to slow the metabolism of the newts and the infection.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get them to a vet asap but the chances of the veterinary knowing what newts are won't be high as newts are very rare around here:( Thanks,will be getting them to a vet today,hope the vet knows what it is.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
please close this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts