Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got a worry about my GALS, I recently introduced springtails, woodlice and earthworms to their enclosure in order to keep the substrate fresh as my first sort of attempt at bioactive.

However, as in the title the springtails seem to crawl all over my GALS's shells. I wouldn't say there's a lot of springtails or that they seem out of control (yet) but they hangout on and under the cuttlebone so when the snails go to have some calcium they end up picking up a load of springtails which don't really go on their bodies.

The fact that the springtails congregate mostly on the cuttlebone makes me think they're using it for calcium too and that them being on the shell is a bad thing as they may try to eat my snails shells?

Has anyone else had this with springtails?

Though apart from this going bioactive has been pretty great, there was a proper mold issue on all the cork bark / log décor which was cleaned up nearly a few days after introducing these little animals.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Hey, I've got a worry about my GALS, I recently introduced springtails, woodlice and earthworms to their enclosure in order to keep the substrate fresh as my first sort of attempt at bioactive.

However, as in the title the springtails seem to crawl all over my GALS's shells. I wouldn't say there's a lot of springtails or that they seem out of control (yet) but they hangout on and under the cuttlebone so when the snails go to have some calcium they end up picking up a load of springtails which don't really go on their bodies.

The fact that the springtails congregate mostly on the cuttlebone makes me think they're using it for calcium too and that them being on the shell is a bad thing as they may try to eat my snails shells?

Has anyone else had this with springtails?

Though apart from this going bioactive has been pretty great, there was a proper mold issue on all the cork bark / log décor which was cleaned up nearly a few days after introducing these little animals.
Your snails are safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there!
I have a GALS and he was on basic substrate and was fine. I then introduced a different substrate (bio active leftover from my gecko enclosure) and springtails where everywhere! I then noticed they were in the substrate already, but he's doing fine, and has been like it for over a month now. They do congregate on his shell a little, but he carries on as normal. Definitely nothing to worry about :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts