Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our pair of standingi day geckos have finally produced some fertile eggs. is there anyone else breeding them at the moment? these are a brilliant change from the grandis and IMO very under rated

·
5,234 Posts
I believe there are plenty of people breeding these around the country. Apart from myself, I know of at least four others that are producing hatchlings in reasonable numbers.

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
compared to the grandis how difficult are they as this pair has been producing for some time but nothing fertile up until now

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also iv been reading that they are extict in the wild! is this true? i know theres groups kept in enclosers for breeding i.e captive farmed but iv read 2 different articles both saying they are thought to be ectinct in the wild

·
5,234 Posts
No they were listed as threatened by the IUCN in 1996 (ish), and the status has not changed. This is possibly due to the fact that they haven't been to look again, but they are certainly not extinct.

Interestingly in the late 90's many captive breeding projects were set up with the thought that extinction was a real possibility, and that difficulty with breeding rituals, behaviour or mating sites (among other things) may be playing a role in their decline. As it turns out of course they bred incredibly easily in captivity.

Do I find them more difficult to pair than P. grandis, Well this is an interesting question, and if you look at it through simply clutches produced this year, then the answer would be yes. However their behaviour is very different, there is suggestion of monogamous mating for life, although I am very skeptical about this.

If you are getting numerous infertile clutches, then there is possibly another reason for this. How old are the animals?

On that note, in my experience it is essential to cool P. standingi before breeding, and this may be part of your problem.

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that andy.

iv since spoken to the person we got them from and they did produce fertile eggs but were damaged when removing. the pair in question have been together for 8 years so they are well established if monogomous. iv never heard that b4. but would go a long way to explaining my last few pairs. iv found that they dont need as much humidity as grandis and seem to do better at a lower temp. would you agree? and 1 final question for this post lmao!! has any hybridising been done with the standingi and the grandis or kochi? iv seen that many more species are available in holland from well established breeders like the cepidiana and the gumbihi [thats spelt wrong but you know which i mean lol] are there any available here in the uk? sorry that was 2 questions:lol2:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I hope not, P standingi are southwest and P M Grandis are ultimately northern, would be sacralidge to do this even if it was biologically possible. I have a phelsuma robertmertensi female for sale, so yeah some of the eyecatching small species are available over here aswell.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
isnt the roberts the dull day gecko? iv had alot of different ones myself but only owned the grandis and the standingi here in the uk. theres lots more on the continent. they seem to be very under rated here

·
5,234 Posts
With the age of your pair, it is very likely that the female will demonstrate reduced fertility, or at the very least reduced fecundity. These animals will live to around 12-15 years (conservative estimate) and will be capable of breeding to that point, however whether they will breed to this age is questionable, and unlikely in my opinion.

Humidity for this species can be a problem, they certainly appreciate much dryer conditions than P. grandis. Mine get misted very infrequently. My temperatures are pretty much identical for both species.

As for Hybridization, I haven't seen any, but of course this is not to say it doesn't occur! As you probably know, as of 2007 grandis and kochi were given specific species status, and so you could interpret that as a suggestion that that hybridization is unlikely, however considering the fact they are very close on the phylogeny, I find the possibility of grandis-kochi hybrids very real. You have to question how you would know though, both species are very similar morphologically.

As for standingi-grandis hybridization, this is less likely, as P. standingi represents the most divergent taxa (relative to the rest of the species, it is likely the most primitive) and as such, is well separated in an evolutionary context.

I'd be interested in seeing some evidence though...

As for other species available in the UK, they are here, but in vastly lower numbers than on mainland Europe. Most species will come from there though. There are a number of breeders in the UK that breed some of the rare, difficult to maintain species with some success.

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the age of your pair, it is very likely that the female will demonstrate reduced fertility, or at the very least reduced fecundity. These animals will live to around 12-15 years (conservative estimate) and will be capable of breeding to that point, however whether they will breed to this age is questionable, and unlikely in my opinion.

Humidity for this species can be a problem, they certainly appreciate much dryer conditions than P. grandis. Mine get misted very infrequently. My temperatures are pretty much identical for both species.

As for Hybridization, I haven't seen any, but of course this is not to say it doesn't occur! As you probably know, as of 2007 grandis and kochi were given specific species status, and so you could interpret that as a suggestion that that hybridization is unlikely, however considering the fact they are very close on the phylogeny, I find the possibility of grandis-kochi hybrids very real. You have to question how you would know though, both species are very similar morphologically.

As for standingi-grandis hybridization, this is less likely, as P. standingi represents the most divergent taxa (relative to the rest of the species, it is likely the most primitive) and as such, is well separated in an evolutionary context.

I'd be interested in seeing some evidence though...

As for other species available in the UK, they are here, but in vastly lower numbers than on mainland Europe. Most species will come from there though. There are a number of breeders in the UK that breed some of the rare, difficult to maintain species with some success.

Andy
well any info i find on my travels i will gladly share. im going over to hamm for day geckos as i bought from a dutch guy last time and his prices were great last time. well make the journey worth it.

No, this is P. dubia.

Andy
yep sorry the dubia is the dull my mistake. this is the only one i dont like. the roberts is a nice lizard but not really my cup of tea either.

at the moment we have peacocks, grandis, gold dust, standings. but really want some of the rarer larger speicies

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the grandis with the stripes rather than the spots, are they a sub species? i know the kochi has next to no markings except on the head but what is the latin for the striped?

·
5,234 Posts
The morphological species delimitation's don't really relate to body stripes (with the exception of the eye bar), so individual P. grandis with stripes are line bred to increase the proportion of red pigment. It is an inexact science to be honest, as pairing 'high red' individuals does not guarantee 'high red' offspring, as my own results are clear evidence of.

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we have a pair at the moment that consist of a spotted male and a striped female. was wondering if this would produce the higher red or not. to be honest i prefer the spotted any day. id be very happy to produce just spotted

·
5,234 Posts
we have a pair at the moment that consist of a spotted male and a striped female. was wondering if this would produce the higher red or not. to be honest i prefer the spotted any day. id be very happy to produce just spotted
Well its a polygenic trait, and so not simply inherited. You will hear many say that breeding two individuals with 'high red' proportions will give you predominantly 'high red' offspring. This isn't really the case, you will still get offspring with varying degrees of red.

Of course if you pick the offspring with the highest red content and line breed these...

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to be honest im thinking of selling the high red female and getting a [what i call a true grandis] with just the spots. not over kean on the striped

·
5,234 Posts
What does she look like? I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

She will produce offspring that have the regular appearance however, so if this is a concern it needn't be.

Andy

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What does she look like? I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

She will produce offspring that have the regular appearance however, so if this is a concern it needn't be.

Andy
the male is from ian lawton near leeds. hes about 3 years old. he has about 8 or so spots on hs back and IMO is stunning. hes about 10". the female is from another breeder in stalybridge that has a line of the high reds. i bought a few [as they were that high red] from her but this is IMO the best of the first couple i got so i kept her. shes really high red with over 15 tiger stripes across her back between her front and back legs. she also has alot of red behind her eyes and down her neck. shes about 7". i will get some fresh pics and send them to you. let me know what you think:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
forgot. shes coming up to 12 months old

1 - 20 of 22 Posts