Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think sometimes, snakes just like looking up? And since they're really good at staying really still and holding a pose for a looonnnnggggg time it gets us worrying? I've seen all my snakes do this. All different breeds. They don't do it all the time. They have no other symptoms of anything wrong with them. But I do occasionally walk in and any one of them can be just sitting there with its whole front half of its body raised 90° looking straight up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my experience, when snakes stargaze, it's usually with just their head and 2-3 inches of their neck, looking either up or back, at a pretty sharp angle. They generally have no control over this action, and will not notice you. My snake, Vikker, likes to do what you're describing. She often stretches out vertically and tries to tough the top of her cage with her nose, and tris to climb out, despite there being a screen. The slope of her body is very gentle, and she wobbles a bit. After seeing her do this thousands of times, with no other ill effects, I think she just likes to do it. It sounds like your snakes aren't stargazing, and are simply trying to stretch/escape.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my experience, when snakes stargaze, it's usually with just their head and 2-3 inches of their neck, looking either up or back, at a pretty sharp angle. They generally have no control over this action, and will not notice you. My snake, Vikker, likes to do what you're describing. She often stretches out vertically and tries to tough the top of her cage with her nose, and tris to climb out, despite there being a screen. The slope of her body is very gentle, and she wobbles a bit. After seeing her do this thousands of times, with no other ill effects, I think she just likes to do it. It sounds like your snakes aren't stargazing, and are simply trying to stretch/escape.
So if they're stargazing it's more like they're stuck? And wouldn't react to me coming towards them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if they're stargazing it's more like they're stuck? And wouldn't react to me coming towards them?
Exactly. Stargazing happens because there's an issue with the snake's brain/nervous system, causing their muscles to contract involuntarily. I've never had a snake really react to my presence when I saw them stargazing, however, there's a chance they would react, but their head would still stay tilted back if they did. However, I'm speaking from common knowledge and my experiences, so the details might be wrong.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My snakes all do this, they can periscope just to look around them, or they just decide to have a look on the side of viv - and the higher they stretch, the more they wobble.

If you watch the stargazing snake videos, it's different. They tend to flay around more, and don't have control over the movement. Another sign of badly affected snake is that if you turn them on their back, they either can't, or are very slow to turn back on their belly.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Stargazing is a neurological condition. Moments where the snake simply stop moving and is looking up, sometimes straight for what can be several minutes before moving off again up is not stargazing. Sometimes you'll also see them do this after a drink, if you fail to catch them drinking then people think the snake is stargazing....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are often at their water dish when I have witnessed this. It's not something that happens often though. I've only been keeping snakes for a little over a year. I'm still getting used to everything about them. Slowly starting to worry less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts