Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive setup and started my first dubia colony , I have roughly 100 all in with about 10 adult males 25-30 adult females and the rest are small ones of different sizes.
i have them in like a 70 litre plastic box with a stated heatmat taped on the underside.
I currently have 2 egg trays in there at the minute so they all kinda stay together and breed (hopefully)
i also put some orange in there, blended cat biscuits and bug gel water crystals.

I think im doing everything right but any tips from all you guys with good colonys would be helpfull.

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds good... can only think of decent ventilation and to keep your dry food away from the wet food and gel. You've probably already done this though :)

oh... and to make sure your probe wire isn't a ladder out for the roaches, if that's how you have the setup.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good... can only think of decent ventilation and to keep your dry food away from the wet food and gel. You've probably already done this though :)

oh... and to make sure your probe wire isn't a ladder out for the roaches, if that's how you have the setup.
I had to put a bit tape on the hole my probe goes into because I spotted a little head poking out lol

I've got the food, gel ect all in different shallow dishes. I'll just need to keep an eye on the humidity and see how that goes.

How long do you recon before I see any results?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool, yea humidity can be a problem... increase or decrease ventilation accordingly...

... if you have say 30 females and temps are good, then I wouldn't be surprised if you see some babies pretty quickly. If you spot them just after birth they'll be white.

If you're really unlucky and your females have all just recently give birth, then you might have to wait a few weeks to see any. For significant results it will take a few months.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had to put a bit tape on the hole my probe goes into because I spotted a little head poking out lol

I've got the food, gel ect all in different shallow dishes. I'll just need to keep an eye on the humidity and see how that goes.

How long do you recon before I see any results?
what i do with my stat is leave that right at the top taped to the lid and i use a spare themomter to measure and when that sticks at 28 i know the stat is kept at the right temp and this as been working brilliant for me

with only have 40 adult roaches i would get a 20ltr rub and put in egg crates vertically

100 roaches - 40litr rub

wont be long till you see results but with only have 40 adults you will need wait a longer time then you think till you can start feeding from them if i was you i would get another 100 females with a few males to keep it at a 5.1 female.male ratio and give it 6 months and then you should be set to go

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ive started a roach colony as well. Ive added an extra egg flat now. Ive got 20 adult female, 10 adult males and then 100+ small to large nymphs.

not a bad start hopefully all will go brilliant for you :)

i would try buy 100 more if you have the money and fill the box with egg crates and put the food and water crystals on top :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ive only got a couple of Ts feeding on the roaches so dont really need them mass producing just yet :D
fair enough but i think it would still be a good idea to do so just incase you run out of adults and also try to stick to a 5.1 ratio :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts