Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

i bought a western hognose hatchling from Pauline mid march, all seems fine with him, however he hasn't shed since i've had him, which means he's only shed once in his life so far, I haven't even seen milky eyes, paling in colouor etc..

When I first got him he did stop feeding for nearly 2 weeks but that was understandable as he'd been driven from york to worcester. But sinse then he's been feeding fine, and he's definatly grown. Should have posted sooner but i keep thinking 'oh he must b about to go blue soon'. plus it's not like I can forse him to shed. He being kept at about 26 degrees on a thermostat in a suitibly sized tub

Anyone got any advice for me please?

Cheers
Petch

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Have you spoken to Pauline about it? She would be your best first port of call.

My only advice would be, if he is eating and his set up is all correct, he will shed when he is ready. : victory:

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Just re read and isn't 26 a tad cold? Mine is kept at 30

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
could just be a slow grower.

do you keep him on newspaper or another substrate?

Reason I ask is hoggy hatchling sheds are so small they are easily missed in the substrate if you use any.

good suggestion^^

when my hoggie first shed with me he went into blue and then out again, a week or so later I was thinking ''surely he would have shed by now''

cleaned him out a few days later and found a tiny piece of shed, the rest of is must have gone in the bin!

I wouldn't worry too much, they'll shed when they are ready, although I do think the temps are a little cold...what's 26 degrees in reptile speak?!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Hoggies dont shed as much as other snakes, ive had mine since Dec and shes only shed once!!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
far too cold 30 is much better :)

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Hello all,

i bought a western hognose hatchling from Pauline mid march, all seems fine with him, however he hasn't shed since i've had him, which means he's only shed once in his life so far, I haven't even seen milky eyes, paling in colouor etc..

When I first got him he did stop feeding for nearly 2 weeks but that was understandable as he'd been driven from york to worcester. But sinse then he's been feeding fine, and he's definatly grown. Should have posted sooner but i keep thinking 'oh he must b about to go blue soon'. plus it's not like I can forse him to shed. He being kept at about 26 degrees on a thermostat in a suitibly sized tub

Anyone got any advice for me please?

Cheers
Petch

I wouldn't worry. Only 1 of the ones I still have here has shed too although they are eating and growing well. They don't seem to shed as frequently as corns etc in fact my young female that I bought at about the same size as yours has only shed around 3-4 times in the year I've had her and yet she is almost as big as my adult males now.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
As long as he is eating, and as you say he is growing, i wouldnt worry, he will shed when ready : victory: Although i would put the temp up to around 30 : victory:

·
Registered
347 Posts
they dont need to shed on a routine, its only been about 2 months, so dont worry about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the reassurance guys, i'll turn the temp up a little and continue waiting. He's on paper towel at the moment so hopefully will spot it when he does shed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Umm, I dunno because my snake hasnt shed yet either (only had it a few days lool) but I heard that sometimes having a bit of the tail end skin left over from the previous shed can affect their rate of growth... so check that, and also the humidity maybe?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts