Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in these little geckos (Stenodactylus petrii, Stenodactylus doraie and Stenodactylus sthenodactylus) and would greatly appreciate some info. First and foremost, does anyone know the average lifespan of these geckos? Second, could you fit 1 or 2 in a 30cm x 30cm x 30cm Exo Terra terrarium? If not, what size would you recommend? And other general care information would be great thanks, hopefully my mum will give in to me nagging...although thats unlikely while my hamsters are still alive and kicking (which they, unfortunately, may not be for very long).

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
I keep petrii they are the slimer model without the turned up noses.

I have two male and female (although i hear they tollerate multiple males so long as you have the room for that) in a 12x12x24 viv (LxHxD) They do well on moths, wax worms, blacks, browns and mealies, they also enjoy the fuzzy wuzzys that come with crickets. Not sure on the life span i never look in to things like that becaus ei appreciate with reptiles its generally many years. I think its 12.

I'd love to get some more. I got these couriered to me by a guy i can no long find i rhink they were WC but i have treated them accordingly.

30x30x30 is uber small they do grow fairly chunky and need a bit more room.

Marina:)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have 1.2.3 myself (the wee ones with the upturned nose) and they are great wee critters.. I know they are great for colonies, and mine have laid a few times now.. they are nocturnal as well... 30x30x30 is something I would keep a small tarantula in or something tbh.. certainly not a colony of stenys.

They seem to much anything that moves.. and with their tail wagging, is a laugh... not sure about lifespan... and I would love to get another trio if anyone knows someone that has any.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 1.2.3 myself (the wee ones with the upturned nose) and they are great wee critters.. I know they are great for colonies, and mine have laid a few times now.. they are nocturnal as well... 30x30x30 is something I would keep a small tarantula in or something tbh.. certainly not a colony of stenys.

They seem to much anything that moves.. and with their tail wagging, is a laugh... not sure about lifespan... and I would love to get another trio if anyone knows someone that has any.
www.exoticpets.co.uk/geckos-for-sale.html have a couple of species for sale...you could get yourself a trio from there....

Do you heat them with heat mats or overhead heating????

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
A small heat mat in one third, and a regular 40w bulb (over the same third) during the day... that said, all my animals are in a room that is a constant 18-24C...and cheers for the link!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I have breading groups of both S.petrii (4)and S.sthenodactylus (8). They are lovly geckos and the best caresheet i think thats availble is:

Amphibiancare.com >> Dwarf Sand Gecko (Stenodactylus species) Care

Heating can be achieved with either a bulb over a piece of slate on 12 hours aday, or alternativly by a heat mat. Both of these methods work really well.

I would have thought you could fit 2-3 in that size viv you mentioned happly.

Dont forget though 99% of all stenos are wc and most come in very underweight and heavly parasited. Make sure you treat these and run quanteen procedures if mixing from different places, or if you have other reps.

Jay

edit: i'm not sure about life span, but i have had my s.petrii for about 4-5 years and they were wc adults when i got them, if thats any help.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
A small heat mat in one third, and a regular 40w bulb (over the same third) during the day... that said, all my animals are in a room that is a constant 18-24C...and cheers for the link!
I personally wouldn't use both, one or the other is fine. So long as the hot end is about 28 they are happy.

jay

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No, they are on separate times, and attached to the timer system I have.

What substrate do you use? I use playsand/peat mix, and have it relatively deep, as they dig out wee shell scrapes under the bark etc... also, do you have a water dish, or do you spray occasionally?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
No, they are on separate times, and attached to the timer system I have.

What substrate do you use? I use playsand/peat mix, and have it relatively deep, as they dig out wee shell scrapes under the bark etc... also, do you have a water dish, or do you spray occasionally?
I have a milk bottle lid i fill up when i spray, but they dont really need it, they are happy with the odd spray.

I use playsand to a depth of about 3-4 inches and they make all sorts of tunnels and caves. I have used repticlay in the past and found it went to hard for them to dig.

Jay

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Agree.. as I said before, mine are thriving, and I have 3 babies already, and 4 eggs cooking.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
DONT BUY ANIMALS FROM EXOTIC PETS ONLINE - Read what other people have said abou them on this forum. There was a whole thread dedicated to their monstrousity of service and quality of animals.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Yer i've had about 10 eggs of my S.stheno this year, of which 8 of hatched and been sold. i still have a runt with me though as it doesnt seem to be growing.

Jay

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
DONT BUY ANIMALS FROM EXOTIC PETS ONLINE - Read what other people have said abou them on this forum. There was a whole thread dedicated to their monstrousity of service and quality of animals.

Aparently they are getting better, but i still would'nt use them. As since stenos are readaly available in most if not all shops you might as well see them before you buy them and then pick the healthy ones.

jay

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your help.

If you're wondering why I was, well, wondering about having stenos in a 30 x 30 x 30cm Exo Terra, according to the box for the desert small habitat kit you could fit a steno in there...must be lying:bash:Although now I come to think of it they also said you could fit a banded gecko in there...TBH I think there's only like one species of lizard you could actually fit in there so to increase sales they said you could fit a bunch of small lizards they picked at random in there...

Anyway, how often do you supplement there foods? And does anyone know of any books that have some infomation about 'em???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Can u link to that thread, it might be an interesting read...

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help.

If you're wondering why I was, well, wondering about having stenos in a 30 x 30 x 30cm Exo Terra, according to the box for the desert small habitat kit you could fit a steno in there...must be lying:bash:Although now I come to think of it they also said you could fit a banded gecko in there...TBH I think there's only like one species of lizard you could actually fit in there so to increase sales they said you could fit a bunch of small lizards they picked at random in there...

Anyway, how often do you supplement there foods? And does anyone know of any books that have some infomation about 'em???
Stenos will fit in there hun, but its a waste of the height etc.

Supplement wise, in every 7 feeds, 4 are supplemented with calcium, 1 with nutrobol and 2 are plain.

Hope that helps
Jay

I will have some more S.stheno availble later in the year.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Stenys will fit there, it is just a waste of the height, as they are very much ground dwellers. If you were to get a 1.1, you could have a micro colony in a year.

If you are interested (an I mean all of us steny steny keepers) I wouldn't mind swapping a few to keep the bloodlines fresh?

Anyway, just to clear a few things up regarding species, and Italian has done a brilliant page, that lists them all with pics.

R.ciliatus & Co :: Il Genere Stenodactylushttp://www.ciliatus.it/index.php?a=articles&art=2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts