Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now removed the sticky tape that was in on the inside my viv holding down my hygrometer probe (original post and pictures here) , thanks to the kind advice given from Snow_Man_UK and animalfreak.

I have however taped down my heat mat using the tape, as the instructuions told me to do so, incase the corn gets stuck underneath it. The Mat is under about an inch of aspen. I have checked it today and it seems to be sticking down well, without any upturns.

Should I remove it and find an alternative? If so what?

On side note my LED lights arrived today, so gone is the big light and have put in the new low voltage ones, as they give off good light but no heat.

Daytime lights

Evening / Night Lights

As the blue ones give off a light glow, but enough to see in the viv in then dark and are not too bright or give off a white light, I take it it will be ok to leave these lights on, on a 24 hour cycle?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Try using the seal they use on fish tanks..... Its fine to use with reps... and they cant stick to it once dried, and its completley safe to them.....
Iv use aqua seal in my tanks in the past to seal over the heat mat joins and secure the mats.. As well as sealing corners of a viv.
Den

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I don't like tape in vivs either, I put down heavy tiles over the heat mat, slate/terracota etc, These work well because they also help with heat transfer.

With the LEDS though, not sure tbh. I guess it's like a really bright full moon. I would still turn them off when I went to bed though. Save electricity aswell: victory:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Well done in removing the tape. As peaches recommends I would use ceramic tiles to cover the heat mat. They also act as a heat sink and they are easy to clean.

Aquaseal (or equivilent) is a good alternative just make sure that you use fish tank stuff since normal acrylic sealants can be toxic.

For the lights, I would switch them off before I went to bed as well (or put them on a timer).

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
the lights are basically only for your benefit, no point in having them on over night for the snake, it'll get no benefit.

Mason

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have LEDs in with my gecko - mine have a dimmer-type thing on the transformer where you can change the voltage, so I leave them on overnight but on the lowest setting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts