Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to a reptile show what should i get to breed my Corn with?

1- Blizzard
2- Ghost
3- Snow
4- Bloodred
5- Butter stipe (or butter)

I have maneged to finalize to those 5 lol.. still thinking. :?: :roll:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Err...what corn you already got :?:

Take care

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol oops, I have a normal corn but i went to the place where i brought her and they said she may have something diffrent in her. we put her under a UV light and her yellows were sooooooo bright she looked pure bright yellow, lol they also asked if they had sold her as a "normal" and we were like yea... and they said they wouldnt have sold her as a normal if they had relized her colours :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
ok noobie question here, what about uv light? how does it work ? never heard of it before.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well under diffrent lights the snake can look diffrent more brighter... UV brings out the Diffrent cell colourations more then normal light, i think it brightens the snake cuz the light goes deeper into the cells.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Flake

It is hard to advise without a photo of Flake but any of those with a normal will only produce normal (het for whatever it is).
If Flake has any hidden hets they may come out with breeding. What did the shop say they though Flake is if not a normal?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
in all honesty you wont get a great deal from any of them. normals is not a good place to start if you want to produce morphs.
you're looking at a minimum of 4 years, maybe upto 6 to even produce one butter.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
cornmorphs said:
in all honesty you wont get a great deal from any of them. normals is not a good place to start if you want to produce morphs.
you're looking at a minimum of 4 years, maybe upto 6 to even produce one butter.
True Nige. People start of with a pet, do some research and get to know about the different morphs and expect to produce a variety of different Corns. To breed morphs you need to invest in pairs of hets as a minimum because starting from normal/classic, as you rightly say, takes a long time.
Graham.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not trying to produce something fancy, just having fun but also want to get a good snake for future bleedings if I buy a blizzard I may breed that with my corn but later on buy a bloodred maybe and breed that with my blizzard. I know what it takes to make morphs don’t get me wrong, I have done a lot of studying in to what makes what.

Anyway if I wanted to make something fancy I would try and get some kind of Aztec Opal and breed it with eh... something lol. But I don’t want to I’m sticking to simply breeding what ever the results, but like I said I asked the question about what snake should I get out of curiosity of what people think is worth it.

And the reason I think I will get something out of this corn is as I said that I think she might have something in her... maybe something simple but at least something, so I also asked the question for that reason. Weather it's a snow or blizzard it should bring out the het that she has witch I’m certain she has one. It's all fun at the end of the day.

How did you breed your first corns Nige? what did you do? :D

You seen the Aztec Abbotts Okeetee’s? by the way :shock:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i didnt get to see the abbotts mate no... i couldnt find the guys stall in hamm..
my 1st breeding was old george to a female amel.. that was a bit of a flop. i didnt really know what i was doing, and corn breeding wasnt that popular back then. i lost the eggs.
when i did start breeding properly though my 1st produced were normals, and obviously i was mega happy lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aw well they look amazing, I keep seeing pics of different ones and i think they still look amazing and can give the new morphs a run for their money still :D

Sorry you lost your eggs in your first breeding! All in experience though, you seem to be doing amazing now! Nice one :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey nige I have been busy and figured out how to make a Sulfur. :D :D :D :p And how to make Golddustys! And...Have you ever herd of a Tequila Sunrise? Or plasma? I'm sure you got the stuff to make them? That’s if you have Ultralmels :)
:wink:
Damn it feels good to know more then the basics! Hard work though... I wouldn’t of fought a year ago their were more then two or three corn morphs :shock:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It seems the most common genes floating about in the corn population are amel and anery, so if your girl is het for anything, she is more likely to be het for one of those than for caramel or charcoal or anything more unusual like that. So possibly a snow is your best bet for finding out what recessives she carries, if any, and from then on you can base future purchases on the results of that mating.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks toyah, I agree that Amel and Anery are the most common I probably think she has something along the lines of that. I was mostly interested in just breeding her with what ever I get what ever the results. But for future breeding, something that I can breed with another corn to make something more special. :D if that makes sense :p

Lol jack... Obviously it's a Mexican King snake with a Hypo Bloodred and a Amelanistic Diffused... with Ultramel Het And monkey poo :p :p :p

·
Registered
597 Posts
damnit nothing gets past you :wink: im just playing, all these morphs half of them look the same with different names :roll:

o yeah and i think you should get a snow, dunno why :2thumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol only very few morphs may look similar such as a caramel adult and maybe a amber or butter.. or Blizzard and avalanche. But 90 % of them are different in one way or another you just have to open your mind that's all.

At first I would say all Boa or python morphs look the same but in truth they have their differences if you understand them :p

You should compare a bloodred, Blizzard, and a Butter I wouldnt say their all the same

How’s you’re trying to take your reptiles to the U.K going? I got an email from Defra, they say Corn snakes pass with no problems don’t need nothing for them. Our iguana is on CITES but that’s not complicated at all… and the only fees are for the iguana is for processing - to check the animal out and that’s about 10 quid

So whatever that guy was on about 400 quid or whatever it's bull. We got in contacted with Defra and the Animal control people sent the email. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
i havent followed up on much, im getting vonage, broadband telephone, free calls to the UK :) so then i can talk for how long i want rather than my mobile charging a dollar a minute :) i expect that for an erotic line not a call to the animal people :p

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
Flake1 said:
Hey nige I have been busy and figured out how to make a Sulfur. :D :D :D :p And how to make Golddustys! And...Have you ever herd of a Tequila Sunrise? Or plasma? I'm sure you got the stuff to make them? That’s if you have Ultralmels :)
:wink:
Damn it feels good to know more then the basics! Hard work though... I wouldn’t of fought a year ago their were more then two or three corn morphs :shock:
i have heard of Tequila Sunrise, but i cant remember what it is right now lol.
plasma i am not far off to be honest, i have several ways of producing it, i actually have the ingredients to make hypo plasma, although it may take a while lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts