Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dean suggested cod liver oil or that type of thing added to food,can i do this?(hes not sure) if hes not pooed by sunday ill be taking him to vets monday as it will be 2 weeks,i dont get it hes still so lively,eating and completely himself what could this be? tried warm bath,didnt leave him in more than 5 mins as werent sure,tried tummy massage,ive got rid of his sand and i wonder if thats why he wont go as hes used to sand but can i use cod liver oil or similar safely?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If he is still eating normally, he isnt impacted and I wouldnt be too concerned. Sometimes it can be a little while between poos. You can add a little mineral oil Im told to his food to lubricate things up, but I really wouldnt be too worried yet if he is eating and isnt straining to pass. You could also soak him for a little longer - my tegu usually takes up to 10 minutes to poo while soaking. Again though, if he seems healthy its probably not an issue. Have you checked your temps are spot on?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Is this a monitor? Like Johelian says, check the temps in there they like a lot of heat (basking min. 130). My monitor likes to poop in his bathwater (never goes anywhere else bless him :) )

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Ah, sorry - poster didn't say. Ignore the 130+ advice for basking spot then :wink: I don't know anything about geckos, monitors are my thing ...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you can use codliver oil to move things along so to speak but to be honest as long as he is eating and wandering around it is not a massive worry. my male leo goes for ages without pooing...maybe not two weeks but easily 10 days...he's on calci sand (yes i the evil stuff!) and def not impacted. his digestion is just slow...

all comes down to how much they are eating, how often, and how fast they digest...i would say take him to the vets if you are worried cos at least then you will have peace of mind...and after all two weeks is a while...is he still excrecting urea? (the white bit)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
is always the way! :)

you could try the codliver oil thing..don't give him too much though! but to be honest your best bet, for your own peace of mind, is prob a trip to the vets..nothing wrong with getting them checked out...

probably nothing at all to worry about but better safe than sorry..

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
just a though but if he used to be on sand.try putting a small container of sand in the corner to see if anything happens in there.dont no if it will or not but anythings worth a try. :wink:

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wondered if it was the sand,he was on vita sand i couldnt get that brand so put some other sand up his poo corner and hes not been since,tried emailing and texting old owner to see where she got that sand as i cant even find it on net to see if thats back in he might go,keep rubbing his little tummy each time he comes out,dunno if im trying to help him or trying to feel something you know how these things get you,think i might split a cod liver oil capsule if i can find them and put a drop on his nose,but defo looks like the vets appointment will be kept!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts