Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I did EXACTLY what I was told by the vet, reptile shop owners and what it's said on the information pack i got.....yet low and behold, I awake to find yet more fooking mites on sausage!!! there aren't as many but still!!!! 7 hours it took to do everything yesterday and all for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaargh!!! I'm so angry!!!

I think I'm going to have to take him to the snake shop to sort him out. But I hate doing that! I should be able to look after them!!!! god damn!!! grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Any advise? I'm so peed off!!:-x

xx

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
info

hiya, u haven't said what ur course of action was but it sounds like u haven't broken the cycle, mites lay eggs which can hatch after about 30 hours so even if there's only one left alive after treatment it doesn't take long for them to be back in numbers. id keep the viv at absolute bare minimum (paper, hide, water) and clean twice daily for at least two weeks while repeating what the vet advised accordingly..
when you do clean the viv you really do have to take your time and be as thorough as you possibly can, it is a right chore getting rid of mites as there is no quick fix (your in for the long haul!!)
What has been your course of action??????
( i hate replying to these i feel like im showing how to suck eggs!!!)
good luck

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Mites are a pain in the backside (especially if you've got more than one snake)

The way we got rid of them from our royals

Seperate your snake from the viv into another container / feed box. Use a dilute bleach solution to soak all the hides and accessories min 1 hr total immersion (bark, plastic leaves etc). Clear out all the substrate into a bin bag and put outside, if you store spare substrate anywhere near the viv sorry thats probably gonna have to go too. Using same bleach dilution spray the entire viv covering all surfaces, leave the viv for min 1 hr.
After this thouroughly rinse all surfaces of the viv and all the accessories your using with water and wipe down with a clean cloth

After thouroughly rinsing your hands of any bleach solution. Stick your snake in a luke warm bath deep enough to totally cover your snake in the deepest part for about 30mins or so and encourage them to swim around, this will drown MOST of the little suckers but you still may see some in the heat vents / nostrils, depending on your hand-eye co-ordination / relationship with snake these can be removed with a pair of blunk nosed tweezers or washed out with water. Once all visible mites have been removed from the snake spray down with a non reptile-toxic mite spray (I've used mite-off and Four Paws Natures Reptile before) and allow to soak for approx 10 - 15 mins. Last dunking in the bath to remove the mite spray from the snake and return to viv.

I'm sure you've probably already tried all this but just letting you know how we did it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used frontline. the vet gave me i solution of it mixed with alcohol to apply directly onto them, aswell as a spray to use in the vivs. i threw away the viv furniture (it was pieces of bark, which i suspect they came from. They're on paper towel. I had to remove their water bowl after treatment (so they dont lie in it, then drink the saame water), but kept humidity up using damp paper towel (works suprisingly well!!)

I guess I was expecting the first treatment to rid them all, and the following 2 treatments were just a safe guard. If it's normal to see them still after the first treatment, thats fine. It's the first time I've had this problem, so expected everything to go fine and dandy!

hehe I'm an absolute cleaning freak so no worries there! I spend about an hour cleaning sausages viv- no lie!

Well, I'll continue with the next treatment in 3 weeks as prescribed nd see how it goes.
The vet gave me quite a weak solution of frontline to apply to them, as they're such small snakes, she didnt want to risk any respiritory problems. She said if it doesnt work, she'll send me a slightly stronger solution ( free of course!) but again, I didn't know to expect to see some of the critters still there next day!

Sorry for ranting! and thankyou for your help....(again!!)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm treating them both. I've not seen any at all on the ratsnake, but better safe than sorry! Thanks for all your advise so far! my poor little doodlee! he didnt eat last week cos of the stress of it all! I wants to cuddle him better!

xxx

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
luckily i've only ever had 1 infestation of mites , but it spread like wildfire through all my herps . on top of all the usual cures , try putting strips of vapona or similar product in sealed tubs with holes (cricket tubs etc ) 1 in each viv . this clears off any of the little gits that escape all your other attempts . ps dont let your snakes get in direct contact with the vapona , keep sealed in tubs. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
We use a product in Australia called 'Top of Descent' it is an aircraft spray but works a treat and is safe to use on herps. Can you get anything over there that has Pyrethrin or Permethrin in it? Most of our mite treatments have that in it and you can clear it up very very quickly! I can give instructions on how to use the above stuff if you like, just let me know!
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
luckily i've only ever had 1 infestation of mites , but it spread like wildfire through all my herps . on top of all the usual cures , try putting strips of vapona or similar product in sealed tubs with holes (cricket tubs etc ) 1 in each viv . this clears off any of the little gits that escape all your other attempts . ps dont let your snakes get in direct contact with the vapona , keep sealed in tubs. hope this helps
Just looked up vapona. If you do try this be VERY carefull fly strips are extremely toxic to reptiles and any contact/ingestion can have serious and possibly fatal results. Yes it will kill the mites but may also pop off your pet in the process.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My snake had mites on and off for a year absolutely dorove me mad he is a 18month old brb well about 2months ago i took him thto the vets to have an injection then 2 weeks later he had another one and there hasn't been a sign of them since i put kitchin towel down in his viv and left it in there for a month changing it daily but he is doing great now!! the injection was called panomec you have to make sure the vets weigh sthe snake twice before injecting but it was fantastic and only cost a fiver!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Just looked up vapona. If you do try this be VERY carefull fly strips are extremely toxic to reptiles and any contact/ingestion can have serious and possibly fatal results. Yes it will kill the mites but may also pop off your pet in the process.
i did say to be careful & not let snakes come into contact . "sealed tubs"

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Right I did EXACTLY what I was told by the vet, reptile shop owners and what it's said on the information pack i got.....yet low and behold, I awake to find yet more fooking mites on sausage!!! there aren't as many but still!!!! 7 hours it took to do everything yesterday and all for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaargh!!! I'm so angry!!!

I think I'm going to have to take him to the snake shop to sort him out. But I hate doing that! I should be able to look after them!!!! god damn!!! grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Any advise? I'm so peed off!!:-x

xx
Ms.P, if we live together I'd happily treat your snakes and get rid of the mites in about a week, using the olive oil method.

If you want to know how, just drop me a pm and I'll promptly give you all instructions you need.

Take care, Dex.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Sorry, I meant if we live near, not together lol

If we lived together, I'd do anything for you, not only treating your snakes for mites :lol2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts