Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question but are there some types of snake that are stinkier than others? I appreciate that the bigger the snake the bigger the poo and therefore the bigger the smell but is odour management simply a question of good husbandry? I've read a few posts about people complaining about their anacondas.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This might be a silly question but are there some types of snake that are stinkier than others? I appreciate that the bigger the snake the bigger the poo and therefore the bigger the smell but is odour management simply a question of good husbandry? I've read a few posts about people complaining about their anacondas.
Are you thinking of them musking??
I would think that odour management is what you say it is, good husbandry, my snakes don't smell at all......except for when my corn musks :lol2:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I can't comment on anacondas...and yes you're perfectly right with the size difference when keeping burms & retics compared to royals or corns...

But from my experience the only snakes that I've kept and found to have a distinct odour are ratsnake species.

Corns in particular I've found to have a very musky odour about them.

But to be honest, it's only when they've defecated. It's not a general smell they have...just that when they do defecate I've personally found it to be a different kind of smell to boids.

In short...all the boids I've kept just smell as you would expect when they urinate or defecate...but when corns & other ratsnakes defecate it has a more distinct musky strong odour.

That's my two penneth anyway :)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I would think that odour management is what you say it is, good husbandry, my snakes don't smell at all......except for when my corn musks :lol2:
This is why I have always assumed the rats I've kept have this distinct musky smell...because of the musk glands.

I had an adult male king snake musk all over me once and it was NOT pleasant!!

Had young ratsnakes do it too...but there's not so much there volume wise compared to an adult.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I only have boas. Certain ones are smellier than others and require cleaning out more frequently. My adult albino male is one of these! He smells much worse than the others. As a rule they don't smell unless they've 'done their business'. I guess he's just a stinky snake. :)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mine don't smell either but I currently only have a small royal and a corn. They're in my home office so I'm with them most of the time and can act on removal of poo pretty quickly. I also have four degus housed in the same room and they don't smell either because I keep their cage very clean. When I get a visitor the lack of odour is often commented on which really pleases me. I'd hate it if I lived in a house that reeked of "animals" the moment you open the door!

Reason I raise the issue is I'm about to get a large coastal carpet and that's going in the big viv in my OH's room. He teaches in there so bad smells can't be an issue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No mine don't smell either but I currently only have a small royal and a corn. They're in my home office so I'm with them most of the time and can act on removal of poo pretty quickly. I also have four degus housed in the same room and they don't smell either because I keep their cage very clean. When I get a visitor the lack of odour is often commented on which really pleases me. I'd hate it if I lived in a house that reeked of "animals" the moment you open the door!

Reason I raise the issue is I'm about to get a large coastal carpet and that's going in the big viv in my OH's room. He teaches in there so bad smells can't be an issue.
Ah i see, no it will be fine :) just keep it clean and all will be fine! : victory:
@piedpythons, i know what you mean!!!:lol2:

·
Registered
715 Posts
As has been said, snakes dont smell unless theyve crapped or musked and as long as youre on the ball with regards to good husbandry youll not have any lingering smells.

Also my royal python only poos once every 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer but my hognose poos within 24 hours of every meal which is every 3-7 days. So the hoggies tank smells more often than the royals but it gets cleaned out straightaway anyways :)

D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I always found species that eat fish (example garter snakes) absolutely stunk when we'd catch them in the wild if they'd musk you...Rank. Generally if you keep on top of poo picking, nothing will smell (except the musk :whistling2:)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well as my OH is being really gracious about me using the big viv in his room I feel doubly obliged to be "on it" with keeping it clean. Then again, because my new beauty will be in his room I'm likely to be in their more too!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I can always tell when one of my Hognose's has poo'd they have a very very distinctive smell. a lot worse than any of the others I own.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Well as my OH is being really gracious about me using the big viv in his room I feel doubly obliged to be "on it" with keeping it clean. Then again, because my new beauty will be in his room I'm likely to be in their more too!
I dont think you'll have a problem with your carpet smelling : victory: Am I right in thinking it's a coastal? You picking it up tomorrow, or over the weekend? Bet you're very excited! As Jim was saying, I know it's hard but make sure you give it a week to settle in (A few pictures when you're moving it into the viv can't hurt (no flash :whistling2:) but I left mine about 4 days, then wondered why she didn't eat on the 5th, which would have been avoided if I had waited it out the 7! Can't wait to see pictures though :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
i've kinda noticed that when my carpet poops you can't smell it at all, when my corn poops and you open the viv you get a huge stink of it! lol even if it's fresh, like when she craps on me :devil: haha my spotted pythons poo's smell too, trinket snake has no smell on the poo at all. as for genuine smells, nope don't notice those.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I only have boas. Certain ones are smellier than others and require cleaning out more frequently. My adult albino male is one of these! He smells much worse than the others. As a rule they don't smell unless they've 'done their business'. I guess he's just a stinky snake. :)
Jus tout of interest, so that i know what i can look forward to, how big (roughly) is an adult male BCI poo?

·
Banned
11,446 Posts
I can't comment on anacondas...
I can and Anaconda poo and wee stinks! It has a nice lingering aroma that cuts the air nicely and they way they smear it in all corners is brilliant of course. Oh and the fact that rather poop once or twice after a feed, an Anaconda will poo once or twice a day for a week!

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont think you'll have a problem with your carpet smelling : victory: Am I right in thinking it's a coastal? You picking it up tomorrow, or over the weekend? Bet you're very excited! As Jim was saying, I know it's hard but make sure you give it a week to settle in (A few pictures when you're moving it into the viv can't hurt (no flash :whistling2:) but I left mine about 4 days, then wondered why she didn't eat on the 5th, which would have been avoided if I had waited it out the 7! Can't wait to see pictures though :mf_dribble:
Yes, it's the big coastal I've been whittering on about. I may have to wait a few more days before I can pick her up now because we have to re-house the Knight Anole that's currently in her big viv. Latest plan is to convert a nice IKEA corner unit - so need to get glass cut to size, runners, vents, lights, heat and electrics but it will look great when done. And we should have room to create a nice viv for a green anole colony at some point.

Yes, I am excited - I'm becoming a total snake bore! Will make everyone wait for pics 'cos I made the mistake of being too enthusiastic with my new royal and don't want to repeat that. Royal is great by the way and now eating, shedding and the rest like a dream.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Smelly snakes to avoid include Tai Beauties (their poo is rank)
and Cuban Boas (musk at the drop of a hat)
Stinking goddess (name says it all really).

Food items such as Fish and Poultry tend to small pretty bad second hand.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts