Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took one of the dogs to get her claws clipped today and the nurse managed to catch two of the quicks on one hind leg. She had a dressing on for a short while, and then a silver nitrate pencil used when the dressing didn't work.

On the way home she started bleeding again in the car so we put another dressing on. When we removed that it seems one of them is still bleeding! Any ideas on how to get it to stop? Feeling ever so guilty :(

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Took one of the dogs to get her claws clipped today and the nurse managed to catch two of the quicks on one hind leg. She had a dressing on for a short while, and then a silver nitrate pencil used when the dressing didn't work.

On the way home she started bleeding again in the car so we put another dressing on. When we removed that it seems one of them is still bleeding! Any ideas on how to get it to stop? Feeling ever so guilty :(

Try cornflour if you have nothing else. I would be complaining if they sent my dog home before the bleeding had stopped:bash:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just put flour on it after reading that should help? It'd stopped bleeding at the vets, she must've caught it in the car or something.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
unless is gushing i'd just leave it be. nails get scuffed or cut too short and bleed but after a wee while they generally stop by themselves without any needed attention.

i have a styptic pencil but it doesnt really do any good, talcum powder sometimes helps bung it up if it's gushing.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I cut one of my retrievers claws too close once. The bleeding restarted a number of times after and really seemed like a lot of blood to lose even for a larger sized dog

I felt so guilty. Now I stick to using the Pedi-paws type grinders :whistling2:

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
seeing it happen almost every day must have just desensitized me to it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were both bleeding quite alot at the vets, apparently did on the way home too (parent's picked her up). It was still dripping last we checked so bandaged up again and trying to keep her as quiet as possible for as long as possible. If all else fails I'll try to dig out the nitrate pencil, parents don't like using it though.
I've seen it alot and doesn't really bother me too much on other dogs, but must admit it's different on your own - plus she's laying on the puppy-dog eyes pretty thick to make me feel even worse!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My dane has a lot of problems with her nails and we found something that helps. They are called "blood stop swabs" and you can get them at Pets at Home, relatively cheap. They are cotton buds filled with a liquid that soothes pain and stops the bleeding. Hope this helps if you have any future problems x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts