Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how long can you keep mice/rats/rabbits etc in the freezer for?

i am considering placing a massive order to basically stock pile frozen food to enable me to feed my snakes for a couple of years.

i was just wondering if this was viable or if there was a certain use by date so to speak?

·
Registered
257 Posts
royalpython said:
i'm sure i've heard 3 month's is the limit.
You are correct, we advise the maximum amount of time should be 3 months, but be aware of how long the suppliers have had them in their freezers.

Most food should be frozen for no longer than 3 months, the cells start to break down after this point and when you defrost, the frozen food turns to mush.

Regards

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Wow i did'nt know that! I too was gonna place a large order to save hassle, postage cost etc. But now you've mentioned that i'll just order every month like i have been doing already.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arse :lol: was hoping to save some money with a massive bulk order!

ah well, glad i asked before i wasted a butt load of cash :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
put it this way how long would you put your own food in a freezer and still eat it!? Check out the labels on some packaging.. The same rules pretty much apply!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
welshgaz said:
put it this way how long would you put your own food in a freezer and still eat it!? Check out the labels on some packaging.. The same rules pretty much apply!
The difference with mice/rats is that they are whole animals, not just parts, and so still have faces in their intestines, etc, which can lower the amount of time they can be safely kept in relation to, say, beefburgers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts