Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

I went to visit my local reptile store yesterday, and we got chatting about my two new baby boas (one born on the 11th may 2010 the other born 12th june 2010), i mentioned that i keep them in separate small rubs at the moment, and the i have a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft viv that used to have my corn in.
Now this is where the strange bit comes in , he then said "why don't you house the two babies together in the 3ft viv, and that they will be fine together'

Now ive always taken it that you cannot keep to boas together in the same viv, wether they be babies or as adults..... have i been thinking wrong or is it actually ok for me to keep the two babies together?

cheers for your advice in advance

mark

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is no problem with keeping them together, i would always seperate when feeding but otherwise no worries.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
You *can* keep boas in the same viv, it is fraught with complications that wouldn't otherwise be there and I most certainly wouldn't do it with babies, especially if they are male and female. The male will mature faster and try to mate the female before she is ready...amongst all the other problems.

There are probably only two petshops I have been in that I would take advice from, they are generally pretty scary places when you consider the complete BS some of them come out with. My sister was told that Degus were a Chinchilla/Rat Hybrid in a pet shop...

There is no problem with keeping them together, i would always seperate when feeding but otherwise no worries.
^^This is a massively sweeping and simplified leading to possibly dangerous generalisation. It can be fine, I'm sure, but not in all cases :) OP - There is loads of info on here about cohabitation, have a look at the pros and cons and you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I wouldn't keep youngsters together. I really wouldn't.
Cohabiting is something people either approve of or absolutely detest. Young snakes however should really never be kept together IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You *can* keep boas in the same viv, it is fraught with complications that wouldn't otherwise be there and I most certainly wouldn't do it with babies, especially if they are male and female. The male will mature faster and try to mate the female before she is ready...amongst all the other problems.

There are probably only two petshops I have been in that I would take advice from, they are generally pretty scary places when you consider the complete BS some of them come out with. My sister was told that Degus were a Chinchilla/Rat Hybrid in a pet shop...

cheers , they are male and female, so i straight away thought a no no to housing together, i did tell the pet shop that to , and he said thats ok for a year then separate them if you don't want them to breed.

How long would they be ok together then if i was to house them together for a while? as you said males mature faster.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
it is not recommended to keep snakes together on the whole, especialy youngsters...the risks of disease, cannibalism etc etc are there...i dont co-habit most of mine, but i do have two older carpets together, and also my adult dumerils...i think its more about calculating the risks, and seeing if you are prepared to take them! a larger than usual viv is required for more than one animal...and unless its for breeding adults then the same sexes should only be kept together...also feeding seperately is a MUST! its far safer and lower risk to house everything seperately, but IF you do co-habit...it should always be with the same species and older animals IMO...and also they should undergo a good 6 months quarrentine, and ideally have a check up from a good exotic vet to make sure they are parasite and disease free!....like i say, i dont recommend it at all! but i cant really preach as i have a couple of mine co-habiting as stated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i better keep them separate then by the looks of it as, seen as the majority of replys already have been no don't do it

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
How long would they be ok together then if i was to house them together for a while? as you said males mature faster.
Personally I would keep them separate until I knew the female was mature (3/4 years) - I wouldn't try to house them together and remove the male when I thought he might be mature because it is a tricky thing to ascertain. I think you are doing the right thing at them moment, don't let the troublesome pet shop advice cost you dearly.

As Ian said, some snakes can be housed together ok, but it is easier to house separately if you have the space, in my opinion.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is not recommended to keep snakes together on the whole, especialy youngsters...the risks of disease, cannibalism etc etc are there...i dont co-habit most of mine, but i do have two older carpets together, and also my adult dumerils...i think its more about calculating the risks, and seeing if you are prepared to take them! a larger than usual viv is required for more than one animal...and unless its for breeding adults then the same sexes should only be kept together...also feeding seperately is a MUST! its far safer and lower risk to house everything seperately, but IF you do co-habit...it should always be with the same species and older animals IMO...and also they should undergo a good 6 months quarrentine, and ideally have a check up from a good exotic vet to make sure they are parasite and disease free!....like i say, i dont recommend it at all! but i cant really preach as i have a couple of mine co-habiting as stated.
i did think a lot of the above, but just thought i would check what you all think , and what everyones views where on the matter, im gonna stick to my normal way of caring for them and thats separately

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
i did think a lot of the above, but just thought i would check what you all think , and what everyones views where on the matter, im gonna stick to my normal way of caring for them and thats separately
:notworthy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he also told me i couldnt use my glass ex fish tank , to house one of the babys in with a heat mat under the bottom , because the heat will spread across the glass and not give a good gradient????? and if he knocks his water bowl over the humidity will give here ri cause of been in aquarium. with a mesh roof i might add.

strange as if seen loads of pople with that style of set up.

im just gonna get my mice from there i think n thats it lol

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
he also told me i couldnt use my glass ex fish tank , to house one of the babys in with a heat mat under the bottom , because the heat will spread across the glass and not give a good gradient????? and if he knocks his water bowl over the humidity will give here ri cause of been in aquarium. with a mesh roof i might add.

strange as if seen loads of pople with that style of set up.

im just gonna get my mice from there i think n thats it lol
i personaly dont think fish tanks do give a great heat gradient i must admit...for young snakes (or smaller species) RUB`s are far better and look a lot nicer too : victory:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's the 'serious debate' issue. I am your host, David L

This week we shall beg the question.... "Boas, keep together or separate"

to my left we have Bill, he's been keeping Boas since Jesus was a nipper, he is inventor of hundreds of different albinos and morphs and has always kept them together with no fuss...

To my right we have Joe, he is a world reknown herpetologist and zoologist who taught Steve Irwin, Jeff Corwin and Mark O' Shea everything they know about snakes....

So, question to my special guests... should you keep your Boas together?

Bill "Yes"
Joe "No"

That's all from me, ladies and gentlemen, goodnight : victory:

(I keep mine apart by the way, because when I first had my Burm I introduced a male Burm to her enclosure and she got really nasty!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's the 'serious debate' issue. I am your host, David L

This week we shall beg the question.... "Boas, keep together or separate"

to my left we have Bill, he's been keeping Boas since Jesus was a nipper, he is inventor of hundreds of different albinos and morphs and has always kept them together with no fuss...

To my right we have Joe, he is a world reknown herpetologist and zoologist who taught Steve Irwin, Jeff Corwin and Mark O' Shea everything they know about snakes....

So, question to my special guests... should you keep your Boas together?

Bill "Yes"
Joe "No"

That's all from me, ladies and gentlemen, goodnight : victory:

(I keep mine apart by the way, because when I first had my Burm I introduced a male Burm to her enclosure and she got really nasty!)
lmfao! your awesome!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
cheers , they are male and female, so i straight away thought a no no to housing together, i did tell the pet shop that to , and he said thats ok for a year then separate them if you don't want them to breed.

Go with your instinct mate and dont house them together. I learnt not to I had three small corns in a viv together and two of them started to fight and they were all female. I used to think it was ok and would never happen to me. Now just as you never know what might happen why risk it with any of the pitfalls from canibalism to early breeding to spreading of disease. The cons seriously out weigh the pros mate : victory:

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
There are always a lot of whats ifs and it also makes a difference when it comes to their species.

Had they been from the same "litter" i'd have said hell yeah go for it but there are a few things you'd need to watch out for but being that they are not i'd say carry on as normal.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Had they been from the same "litter" i'd have said hell yeah go for it but there are a few things you'd need to watch out for but being that they are not i'd say carry on as normal.
Why would having been from the same litter made things any different? It wouldn't stop the male from attempting to get it on with the female before they were both physically mature enough, it wouldn't stop needless spread of disease, it wouldn't stop competition for space or stress... all of the cons of cohabitation are still there, snakes don't give a monkeys whether they are related or not.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i think if you're buying from a pet/rep shop, from their point of view its easier to sell you 2 pretty snakes and one set up and say yeah house them together, they're only kings, it's not like they'll EAT each other............:whistling2:
rather than say ok, if you want that snake too then its another £XX for another set up and risk losing the sale of the 2nd snake

·
Registered
875 Posts
ok i know this isn't the exact scenario with the OP but i'm just thinking of some pet/rep shop staff mentality :devil:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts