Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above....

do your lizards do any strange things that have made you worry??

last nite i came into my room from being out at about 11 0 clock. the lights were out in the viv as normal but they werent asleep on their branches that they normally are... had a closer look and my male WD is fully submerged in his water pool, eyes open, limbs spread out! i thinkni o cr*p whats happended. i get him out and hes fine just looks at me like 'wtf!?'. this has happened a few times before!

anyone else's WD been night swimming before of done strange things?

im guessing this is nothing to worry about, i mean hes not trying to commit suicide or anything daft!? lol

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
That would freak me out too!!

I have no WDs but sometimes when doing a head-count in my rankins' viv I come across one flat on his back on the floor with his legs stiffly in the air and when I pick him up he just lays in the same position for a couple of secs before righting him/herself and giving me a dirty look :yeahright:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahha that woould freak me out 2!

ive heard rankins and beardies can play dead when they feel threatened but never seen it happen!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yes - it's scary. Mine have never done it because they felt threatened - normally just because they're fast asleep :)

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
that would worry me too!

The only things i worry about is when i go into check at night sometimes and i cant find a dragon.
One time i could'nt see cornflake (see sig,lol) and she's 16" long for crying out loud!
She shares a nearly 5ft viv with her sister and they always sleep on the branches or basking spot, and she was no where to be seen on the floor either. I soon found her in the tub/hide under her basking spot, but they rarely go in there so it was weird.

But thats nothing to panic about compared to finding your cwd in the water bowl!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would worry me too!

The only things i worry about is when i go into check at night sometimes and i cant find a dragon.
One time i could'nt see cornflake (see sig,lol) and she's 16" long for crying out loud!
She shares a nearly 5ft viv with her sister and they always sleep on the branches or basking spot, and she was no where to be seen on the floor either. I soon found her in the tub/hide under her basking spot, but they rarely go in there so it was weird.

But thats nothing to panic about compared to finding your cwd in the water bowl!

thats it, as soon as you realise they arent were they normally are you think somethings wrong! lol

it would be intresting to see if any other WD keepers have experienced this!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Come to think of it one of my rankins once burrowed himself all the way into the substrate and all I could find was a bit of tail poking out ... :lol:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Come to think of it one of my rankins once burrowed himself all the way into the substrate and all I could find was a bit of tail poking out ... :lol:

lol, i was going to mention that in mine but did'nt.
My rankins used to bury themselves, but i could always see their little faces looking at me from the substrate. I had to uncover them sometimes to check. lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, they like to keep us on our toes! lol

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
My Iguana went through a period of sleeping in her water tray at night during the summer of 2006. That really used to worry me. I'd often fish her out before I went to bed, only to find her back in there fast asleep in the morning.

When I kept Leos, they used to seemingly walk off things as if they hadnt realised there was no longer any floor underneath them. Like literally step off whatever they were climbing on into thin air.

:)

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The only thing that worries me is not seeing all 3 cresties when I open up the viv.
Normally, I'll see 2 in the morning, and the other one later on, but it does worry me.
Oh, and when one of them climbed down the poli-backing of the viv. I spent 10 mins looking for it, then realised what it had done, scooped it out, and taped up the gap... silly thing.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Iguana went through a period of sleeping in her water tray at night during the summer of 2006. That really used to worry me. I'd often fish her out before I went to bed, only to find her back in there fast asleep in the morning.

When I kept Leos, they used to seemingly walk off things as if they hadnt realised there was no longer any floor underneath them. Like literally step off whatever they were climbing on into thin air.

:)
hmmm interesting! im glad im not the only one! i always move him back onto his branch but like you say i just find him back down there the next morning!

·
Registered
132 Posts
as above....

do your lizards do any strange things that have made you worry??

last nite i came into my room from being out at about 11 0 clock. the lights were out in the viv as normal but they werent asleep on their branches that they normally are... had a closer look and my male WD is fully submerged in his water pool, eyes open, limbs spread out! i thinkni o cr*p whats happended. i get him out and hes fine just looks at me like 'wtf!?'. this has happened a few times before!

anyone else's WD been night swimming before of done strange things?

im guessing this is nothing to worry about, i mean hes not trying to commit suicide or anything daft!? lol
my water dragons do the exact same thing, and the water gets very cold during the night, no idea why they do it

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank god! it is very strange as like you say the water is cold and they usually sleep nearish the ceramic and the viv never drops below 75 on a nite time!

strange little guys! lol

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Me first leo decided to shed his skin the first day I had him, woke up first morning to find him all gray for starters.

Then went into my room to see him turn arond and rip all his skin off and eat it tail first, its great to watch tho (then five mins later he ate his first locust with me owning him) :2thumb:

Daz

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bet its wierd see'ing them eat there skin! i heard others do it like beardies etc... wonder why they do it! lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
bet its wierd see'ing them eat there skin! i heard others do it like beardies etc... wonder why they do it! lol
i think it's for the calcium content in their skin?? :yeahright:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Lol my leo shed his skin today for the first time with me it was great to watch. nothing has scared me he does yet but av only had him 3 weeks..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Idris walks off things, he thinks he's invincible! But the thing is, once he;s walked off the table edge (I try my absolutely best to stop him but the little bugger is well rapid!!) he just keeps going on the floor like nothing's happened!!

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
i did have a pair of water dragons and one used to sometimes sleep on the pump for his water bowl, must have liked the vibrations and the other 1 sometimes slept in her water bowl, (i say bowl it was more like a lake), with her legs spread out floating on the top, that used to worry me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts