Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feel a little bad at night like i want to give trevey a blanket, i know this is silly. Can i use something like straw in table where he sleeps?

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Soil is the best thing to give him - if he wants to dig down and wrap himself up in the soil he'll be doing things naturally. I think I've heard that straw can be dusty for tortoises and also I'd worry about the straw scratching faces/noses/eyes etc., I'd stick to soil which is what he'd have in the natural environment :2thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hes got such a personality, i pile it up realy deap in his little house that he sleeps in but he just moves it out to one side like a little barier to the side of him. Then he sleeps face down and bum sticking out.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:lol2: awww bless him - my Horsfield does this - scrapes away a hole and then sits in it like a bath and rests his little head on the bit he's scrapped out the side :2thumb:

·
Banned
483 Posts
i feel a little bad at night like i want to give trevey a blanket, i know this is silly. Can i use something like straw in table where he sleeps?
As he is a reptile and therefore cold blooded nothing that wraps round him is going to keep him warm. Only the sun or a heat lamp can do that. Straw harbours parasites and mould spores so the best thing you can give him to assist thermoregulation is soil so he can completely bury himself if needed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
what about haylidge? (sp)

its feed for horses, finer and softer than straw (and nutritous in case he has a nibble)

we soak it in water then let it dry and it has no dust at all, the soak just gets rid of seeds in it. Its really good

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
readi grass or graze on if you want some extra bedding, its freeze dried chopped grass, smells nice and does no harm if eaten, you can buy it now from the petshops or by the bale from a horse food place I also use it as bedding for my guinea pigs. Most tort keepers now use it instead of hemp/aubiose, don't use haylage or similar some of it has an additive when its made to make it keep/look like it does, its also very rich.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
If you use either grass or hay or straw, you have to be sure it does not get wet, otherwise mould spores can grow and kill your tortoise.
Soil is the best substrate they can have, its what they use in the wild and they dig down into it. They have survived millions of years this way, so it has to be good.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
if for any reason you can't keep your tort on soil/sand etc then readi grass or graze on (same product different name) is a good alternative, if eaten its harmless and not so sharp as aubiose or hemp which has been found to be a problem with older males taking it inside their back passages. Some do like to have different substrates in areas, once again its down to personal choice, I have readi grass on the floor of my shed as bedding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts