Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had conflicting information from both breeders and from google websites.

One set of information is telling me that striping is not a genetic trait, it is selectively bred, and that having one, or even both parents with striping is no guarantee of any striping on offspring.

Another is telling me that it is a genetic trait and you can in fact be het for stripe, and guaranteed to produce some striped offspring if you have 2 animals carrying this gene.

Anyone have any hands on experience with which of these are true - or are they both true?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Striping on Boa Constrictors can be either a genetic trait or a random variation. Expect to pay a fair bit more for the genetic trait verson!

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Striping on Boa Constrictors can be either a genetic trait or a random variation. Expect to pay a fair bit more for the genetic trait verson!
And I'm guessing if you have no idea of parentage... it's just a matter of trial and error, proving it out then?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
And I'm guessing if you have no idea of parentage... it's just a matter of trial and error, proving it out then?
Well to be honest, no one is going to sell you a recessive genetic trait Boa without knowing it. They'll have paid top dollar for it!

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well to be honest, no one is going to sell you a recessive gentic stripe without knowing it. They'll have paid top dollar for it!
What sort of price range are we talking?

I'm going to see tonight a boa that was described as being partially striped, with a mother that was striped, and a father that wasn't, other litter mates were.. but of course no guarantee was put on whether it is genetic or not.

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe later on if I buy it! :)

I really shouldn't though... we have too many boas already.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
there are several lines of striped boas in Europe and the USA,i have a line of partial stripes proven out last year,if its a random striped animal for sale then theres no guarantees but genetic stripes are available from a number of sources with varying degrees of striping which are guaranteed
regards gaz

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there are several lines of striped boas in Europe and the USA,i have a line of partial stripes proven out last year,if its a random striped animal for sale then theres no guarantees but genetic stripes are available from a number of sources with varying degrees of striping which are guaranteed
regards gaz
Thanks :) I'm pretty sure the one I'm going to see is going to be a random mutation, probably with about 2 inches of striping!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
good luck and i look forward to seeing your new addition as if you are like me you wont be able to say no :rotfl:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good luck and i look forward to seeing your new addition as if you are like me you wont be able to say no :rotfl:
Yeah.. but I really shouldn't, as I've been trying to get the OH to sell his ugly boa (a dark one I posted in snake pictures yesterday), for ages... and I've been saying that we don't have enough space...

So whilst he's away for the weekend I go out and buy another boa.... oops... :whistling2:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
ive seen some genetic fully striped from the usa...not seen em out here though...personally i dig them...buy them and take insane amounts of photos:no1:

·
Registered
747 Posts
there are genetic and line bred striped boas. I had a pair of genetic stripes, strange gene that they where both about a third striped but bred together would poduce full and partial stripes. regardless of how the stripes get there I think they are one of the best morphs/phases whatever it may be. Gaz has got some awsome lines going on at the moment with BCIs a his Crawl Cays enhancing the colours in the hypo and giving a truly awsome snake.

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i'm back with my new boa.. it's not striped, not what I would call striped anyway... is there such a thing as "cubed" in boas?

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts