Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am sure this has been covered many times but I cannot find it. I have a 5 month old ball python and a 3” viv. As you can see from the pics I have 2 hides a water bowl, plenty of enrichment, and a couple of branches etc.. my substrate is bark mixed with some shop bought mango leaves. For heating I’m using a ceramic linked to a pulse. Hot end around 31-32 and cool end between 26 and 27.

I cannot seem to keep my humidity at 60. It tends to stay around 50 to 53. (According to my digital reader). I mist every day and of course it goes up but not for too long and after a couple of hours will settle back down to the figures stated above.
Is this a concern or is that level of humidity okay while he is not in shed?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
I find Ceramics to be dreadfully drying..

I simply spray my vivs more or less daily then when one goes into shed mode .. I give it a few days then start spraying that viv two of three times daily

Perfect shed every single time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find Ceramics to be dreadfully drying..

I simply spray my vivs more or less daily then when one goes into shed mode .. I give it a few days then start spraying that viv two of three times daily

Perfect she’s every single time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Okay thanks I’ll keep up with what I’m doing then.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Hi guys,
I am sure this has been covered many times
Yup! :)

but I cannot find it.
Just type humidity in to the search bar above

I have a 5 month old ball python and a 3” viv. As you can see from the pics I have 2 hides a water bowl, plenty of enrichment, and a couple of branches etc.. my substrate is bark mixed with some shop bought mango leaves. For heating I’m using a ceramic linked to a pulse. Hot end around 31-32 and cool end between 26 and 27.
Excellent... everything seems in order, temps are in range and well done for putting a young snake straight into a viv. Something I've been promoting for years.

I cannot seem to keep my humidity at 60. It tends to stay around 50 to 53. (According to my digital reader). I mist every day and of course it goes up but not for too long and after a couple of hours will settle back down to the figures stated above.
Is this a concern or is that level of humidity okay while he is not in shed?

thanks in advance.
Humidity will fluctuate. It is quite dependent on the ambient humidity in the room, which can be dependent on the outside humidity. Royals are fine around 50 - 60% relative humidity. They can develope RI's if kept too dry as well as too humid for any long periods of time. You have two options to increase humidity. The first is to increase the size of the water bowel in diameter rather than depth and place it nearer the ceramic. Evaporation will increase and the humidity will rise slightly. The second is to do as others have already suggested and simply spray using a fine atomiser, especially around the time of shedding. Whilst this works, naturally humidity will drop after a few hours when the heat dries out the air once more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts