Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, so i got my ball python a little over a month ago. Since then, he has yet to feed with me. I'm not sure about his age, maybe four or five months and he's on fuzzies. I've tried the normal feeding technique with a frozen thawed, nothing. I've placed him in a separate container and covered it, nothing. I've tried the hot head technique and left the fuzzy with him over night. Last night I tried braining and still nothing. Is my next step to go ahead and try live? I'm not too keen on live but I need him to eat. His temps are low to mi 70s on cold side, low 80s on hot side and a basking spot of about 88. The humidity is 45 percent. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
He might just be fasting because he's not hungry. It happens a lot this time of year. My normal food machines have been tricky to get to accept food the last few weeks but I've been having good success with a mix of scenting with my chipmunks poo and dipping the rats in boiling water. A month is nothing in royal terms and it sounds like you are just trying too much too soon. Dont feed him or bother him for a week or two, then try again. This is really helpful.

The Royal Python Forum - --Kelfezond's Guide - "My Royal Isn't Eating!"--

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the advice. It does sound like a lot but I actually have only been tryin once a week. Last night was the first time I tried after five days. I also haven't been handling him cuz I wanted him on a feeding schedule. Am I good to start handlin a little bit or should I still wait until he eats?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Is he a baby? You've said he's on fuzzies, I'm assuming that's rats. How big is he? He could be looking for bigger prey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts