Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey really weird question......

My male leo has been riding the arse off my females all afternoon and now i notice that he's got his privates stuck outside of where they should be, is this normal from over doing it??

Will it go back to normal on it's own??

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon someone's gotta have had this happen before........

Am a bit worried

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
you should really keep an eye on it. i havent had anything like that happen before but i have heard lots of stories about prolapses. they can require surgery to repair and the animal cant be used for breeding again. you should seperate him ASAP and let the swelling go down. hopefully it will go back over night.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else know?? i've seperated him from girls but it's still hanging out and really red looking, tried giving him a warm bath to encourage it to go back but to no avail.....

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump up........... :censor::bash:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool beans thanks, i just hope it's not a prolapse or i'm gonna kick the arse out of the bloke i bought him from, he's a lovely looking lizard too....!!!! :bash:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
You could try a sugar and warm water solution, put just a few cm of this mixture in a shallow dish,(a cricket tub is good, so he cant climb out) you can let him soak for a good while, if the hemipenes dont invert back inside him after this you will need a vet.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Cool beans thanks, i just hope it's not a prolapse or i'm gonna kick the arse out of the bloke i bought him from, he's a lovely looking lizard too....!!!! :bash:
itsd not the blokes fault. proplapses can occur from over breeding, which sounds like whats happened you need to seperate them and bathe them in a soloution (cant remember what the combination is but it has suger in it) this should help it go back in but if it hasnt by the morning take him to the vets.
good luck!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hope it sorts itself out soon. But what a little trooper :no1:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks i'll get on it now, i know it's not the guys fault but could have warned me!!! feel like a rite bloody idiot now :O( fu:censor:ed off

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
it cant really be predicted, ahppens to the healthiest of geckos. Vets can pop in back in with operation depending on how bad it is but unfortunatley comes with the risks of breeding. I'd suggest not breeding him again as if it happens again it may become more serious

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Hi, it happens with some males, others it doesn't I have a male who stays with his females as hes a gent, and hes never had a problem. It couldn't have been predicted. As others have said, a strong sugar water solution may help. Make sure its kept clean and doesn't dry out. And yes, he'll need to see the vet if it doesn't go back in. If its still helthy the vet may be able to put it back in, otherwise they'll remove it/them. So time is of the essence!
Good luck

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only had him five bloody minutes too, the poor thing.

Like i said he's a stunner, i never really wanted him for breeding, just thought I'd try him with my girls to see how he got on?"

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
if you keep him seperate from the girls and soak him in sugar he may be ok. sugar solution will draw the moisture out of the hemipens and let it reduce in size, then go back to where it should. if this doesnt work then vets ASAP as the risk of infection increases with every hour.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Also make sure he's on a solid substrate. Keep it nice and moist.. damp kitchen roll is best as if it's a prolapse, you dont want it drying out.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
its really important to have a suger water solution on him, it cannot get dry, you need to seperate him, and have him on no substarte ie paper towels.
if its not gone in by tommorrow he will need to se ethe vets ASAP.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Miss's is soaking him now in warm sugar water, god it's late, cheers for this though guys, she's worried sick about him, wish was like this about me when I was ill:whistling2:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here are some pictures for you.

Does it look like a prolapse?

I got to admit, it does look painful.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts