Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone have any experience getting stuck shed off the bottom jaw of a snake? My young female ball python (who I got only a couple of weeks ago) was in shed when I received her, and due to the quarantine setup, had a not so great shed. I was using kitchen roll as the substrate and I obviously must not have sprayed it regularly enough (although my humidity gage was ready normal levels).
I have managed to get all of the shed off via regular soaks and gently peeling it off, but I can't seem to get the last bit off. It's from her lower lip to just past her head, only on the underside of her body. As she is a baby, she is head shy and very wriggly, so even with gentle restraint, I'm finding it impossible to get this last big of shed off. I've tried pulling it backwards GENTLY but I'm worried that could hurt her, especially on such a delicate area.
I've included a picture of her (taken before I got more of it off earlier today)
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!
Reptile Snake Terrestrial animal Scaled reptile Plant

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. Put in a coconut cave or something similar as a rough surface for next time and leave her be. It'll either come off naturally or with the next shed providing you give her a nice spray down to ensure the next shed is a good one. When they are young and eating well they shed very regularly anyway so it won't cause any bother. If she's out of quarantine for next one she'll have suntarte and decor to help her get the job done well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldnt worry about it. Put in a coconut cave or something similar as a rough surface for next time and leave her be. It'll either come off naturally or with the next shed providing you give her a nice spray down to ensure the next shed is a good one. When they are young and eating well they shed very regularly anyway so it won't cause any bother. If she's out of quarantine for next one she'll have suntarte and decor to help her get the job done well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Ah okay thankyou! Yes I'm changing her setup in a week or so, so the humidity will be at a higher level, and more constant too. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Very nice BEL...

Usual methods... place some tepid warm water (if it feels warm to you then its too warm for the snake) in a tub with a few air holes and let it soak, ideally if it retreats and balls up so the skin gets wet the better. Or place coms cut up sponge bits in a cotton snake bag or pillow case and soak that in warm water, spin it around to get rid of the excess, and then place the snake in it and let it run the old bit of skin off. If its still stuck then hold the snake gently and gently rub it off with a finger (having nails helps !). Or you could leave it. It may dry and drop off when it eats, or it will come off in the next shed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts