Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, our Mali Uromastyx, Tater, has retained shed on his tail. We recently purchased him from his previous owner who didn't take very good care of him. We've just noticed that his whole tail is slightly off color because it is covered in old shed. What's the best way to go about removing this? Will a short soak help remove it? Thouggh this worries me because of tail rot, and what if it doesn't come off and water is held under it? We pulled a small piece off and it didn't seem to cause any discomfort but we don't want to cause any damage.
Any advice from uro experts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I definately would not soak him as like you stated this could end up in tail rot and that would be even worse..... If its only 1 layer of shed than it might get of on its own. All my uromastyx shed in fases first the head and body and sometimes a few weeks later the tail......

If its multiple layers than I would suggest to go to a good reptile vet who can help you peel it of without hurting the lizard.

gr. Kamiel

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if it's only 1 layer or not. It's been a while since he's shed more than 2 weeks like you said. I'll call around the vets and see what can be done. Thanks again, anyone else have any advice?

·
Registered
623 Posts
have you got anything solid in the viv for him to rub his tail on? my uros all shed in stages and when it comes to toes and tails i tend to help them with it especially the ornates on their toes. i spray shed aid on my thumb and run it down the surface of their tail but dont spray the actual lizard, for the most part if it is ready to come off it will if not i do it again two days later. wouldnt advise soaking its tail at all and as has been said if i looks like more than one layer bring him to a vet. due to the way their tail segments connect it is entirely possible for you to pull of a full scale thats not meant to come off ie. one they arent actively shedding without too much effort and it can cause intense pain to the lizard. also keep an eye on the colour of the underneath of the last few segments and the gaps inbetween them for loss of circulation which could cause you far more problems.

hope thats some use to you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.