Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any of the dog breeders got any advice on studding dogs out im thinking of using Dylan (stafford) he is 2 years old next month, L2 & Hc clear exellent pedigree (both parents are champions) the best temperment I have ever seen on a dog, has a floppy ear but due to a bite he got as a pup had perfect ears before then

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I have thought about this too but I decided that unless you are showing your dog, people who are serious about breeding their bitch for the right reasons i.e. bettering the breed and not doing it for the money, aren't going to be interested in using your stud. The people who will want to use any stud are people who are doing it for the money IMO and thats not good since there are 1000s of Staffies in rescues most with good pedigrees too. Plus it can change your dogs behaviour once he has had a taste of it! But there will always be people who will use any stud and there are plenty of websites to advertise your stud. : victory:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he was bought to show bloody Abbie broke him :bash: I cried for days:lol2: now its just a part of him gets him noticed

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
I have thought about this too but I decided that unless you are showing your dog, people who are serious about breeding their bitch for the right reasons i.e. bettering the breed and not doing it for the money, aren't going to be interested in using your stud. The people who will want to use any stud are people who are doing it for the money IMO and thats not good since there are 1000s of Staffies in rescues most with good pedigrees too. Plus it can change your dogs behaviour once he has had a taste of it! But there will always be people who will use any stud and there are plenty of websites to advertise your stud. : victory:
100% agree with you there thats why all mine are done when of age and such..............

when breeding what you have to think about is.........

1. is your dog worthy of breeding .........meaning has it proved itself in showing or working..........

2. do you have a list of requests for pups from your dog ?

as Andy said there are already so many dogs out there needing homes do you really want to add to that ?

Also you may change your boy into a mad humping sex machine if you studd him out and could also change his behaviour in other ways .........do you really want that to happen?

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
he was bought to show bloody Abbie broke him :bash: I cried for days:lol2: now its just a part of him gets him noticed

the ear wouldnt have effected that much may have lost a few points but you still could of shown him

I have known people with dogs with scars and such do well in the show ring

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would get laughed out of the ring if I tried to show him I really miss showing it used to be great fun

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
As long as the fault was caused by an injury and you have a vets letter to prove that then you apply to the KC for permission to show giving an explanation and usually they will give said permission.

I had a young bitch that had a problem with her teeth and had to have 2 removed, vets letter and one from me with the application form and fee saw her given permission to continue showing - I had to take the letter with me everytime I showed her just incase the judge asked, didn't stop her winning her classes and doing well.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
so why not buy in a girl that would be fit for showing then or another boy

and then see down the line if her or him proves themsleves then look into breeding or studding out : victory:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As long as the fault was caused by an injury and you have a vets letter to prove that then you apply to the KC for permission to show giving an explanation and usually they will give said permission.

I had a young bitch that had a problem with her teeth and had to have 2 removed, vets letter and one from me with the application form and fee saw her given permission to continue showing - I had to take the letter with me everytime I showed her just incase the judge asked, didn't stop her winning her classes and doing well.
i didnt know that I will look into it thanks:flrt:

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
would need full vet check done to make sure nothin wrong that hasnt shown up on the outside., kennel club registered and excellent pedigree dont mean that much. if your dog came from a sire and a damm that were show dogs then you have more chance of having a valuable stud dog. another question you need to ask is how far back can you trace your dogs ancestry. staffies at the moment are 2 a penny, and you can pick em up full pedigree with certificate for under 200 pounds, you can even get some pedigrees with certs from rehoming centres for 100 pounds.if you choose to put the dog to stud. then you have to decide if you wana do it for pick of the litter of for cash.... wont get a lot of cash for it and if you take pick of litter every time you are gonna have a lotta dogs on your hands that may or may not sell. sorry to sound so negative., this country does have a lot of dogs already that are unwanted, so if you decide to breed then it should be a big decision. when we got our gsd from a rehoming centre we got her for 90 pounds with full pedigree and KC certificate. and about 60% of the dogs at that centre were pedigree staffies.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
his pedigree can be traced back right to the first show dogs and he was far from £200

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
But how far back can it be traced? as serious people wanting a stud will want more than a 5 yr trace back as thats how they know if problems can arrise a serious breeder will want to look into everything to ensure there aint any nasties anywhere in the lines or pre- disposed dogs

money aint important when breeding or shouldnt be so not matter what you paid for him its al in his history and parents histories that will matter

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
ok, you got vets cert to prove that the ear problem was caused from injury though? if you have then good i guess stud him.. i just keep seeing the large amount of unwanted staffies in rescue homes etc.. its sad.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hiya,

As people have said there is a massive issue with bull breeds in rescue at the moment, so many are waiting for homes and yet more are being bred, some rescue centers even now offer Free neutering to bull breeds to try and cut numbers down. Mayhew Animal Center are one of the ones who neuter for free.

Take a look at this, its emotive but really drives it home.
www.staffycross.org - Why Breed and Buy When Others Die? -Staffy Cross Flash Movie - Staffy Cross Welfare Trust

If you offer your lad for stud you will only attract 'back yard breeders' or casual ones who will only be interested in the ££ involved - or have good intentions but dont see the bigger picture, you will not attract reputable breeders to use your boy as they will use shown tested proven studs.

I'm not trying to nay-say, just point out the rescue side of things - its so hard to rehome Staffs at the moment and many are pts.
If you do decide to go ahead, get all his tests done, hips scored and ensure the ladies have too.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
Hiya,

As people have said there is a massive issue with bull breeds in rescue at the moment, so many are waiting for homes and yet more are being bred, some rescue centers even now offer Free neutering to bull breeds to try and cut numbers down. Mayhew Animal Center are one of the ones who neuter for free.

Take a look at this, its emotive but really drives it home.
www.staffycross.org - Why Breed and Buy When Others Die? -Staffy Cross Flash Movie - Staffy Cross Welfare Trust

If you offer your lad for stud you will only attract 'back yard breeders' or casual ones who will only be interested in the ££ involved - or have good intentions but dont see the bigger picture, you will not attract reputable breeders to use your boy as they will use shown tested proven studs.

I'm not trying to nay-say, just point out the rescue side of things - its so hard to rehome Staffs at the moment and many are pts.
If you do decide to go ahead, get all his tests done, hips scored and ensure the ladies have too.

so true and at the moment welfares and rescues are having to turn dogs away as they are full to the rafters

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
agree with royal girlie. im in doncaster area, and as i said before mount pleasant rescue home are over run with staffies, and they offer neutering with these dogs also.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can trace back at least 15 generations, he is on a contract and can only be bred with certain bloodlines and fully tested bitches that meet standards

will probably wait until lolas bigger and buy in a bitch, just thought it would be nice to add some northern blood down here

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
i can trace back at least 15 generations, he is on a contract and can only be bred with certain bloodlines and fully tested bitches that meet standards

will probably wait until lolas bigger and buy in a bitch, just thought it would be nice to add some northern blood down here
its a nice thought hun but maybe wait as i would only ever breed to keep myself and that would be whole of the litter lol

as i wouldnt want to add to the dogs needing homes saga

its okies thinking you found the perfect home for pups BUT! things change and things happen an not everyone i like me an would live in a cardboard box in a field rather than give up her dogs

thats why so many end up in rescue an welfare

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
on contract? so what there is some kinda legal agreement so that you cannot breed with just anyone, or do you just mean you have been warned to not breed with certain lines for the risk of inbreeding? noticed that you are missing or ignoring the point that everyone is saying though in that these dogs are filling up rescue homes or being put to sleep. any dogs that are from your stud could well end up in these homes with all the hundreds of other pedigree staffies!

·
Registered
486 Posts
so true and at the moment welfares and rescues are having to turn dogs away as they are full to the rafters
tell me about it, i cant even place a pedigree dalmation bitch at the moment in a rescue cos everywhere is full. :bash:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts