Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
assuming i do get a corn. what wat bulb do u reccomend and should i leave it on at night? or just the heat pad?
thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
you dont need a bulb, as in its not a nesessity (how do you spell that? lol).
heat mat of a thermostat will be enough in most cases.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will the heat mat giv enough heat?...sory im a snake noob :( i just dont wanna spend lots of money and have it not get enough heat and keel over

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Corn dont need light, Its optional. My Milksnake (Similair to a corn in husbandry) I have a Heatmat connected to a thermostat and i also have repti glo 2.0. Corns dont need UV light, But it was my option. It lightens up the vivarium for you to see, it can also help the snake have a body clock of roughly what hours it is in the day. But naturel sunlight from the room is enough. It's just my oponion in having it.

Good Luck With Your Corn.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Yeah a heatmat would be fine and will keep them warm enough... and to add to meltos.. if you have an albino snake do not give it UV as it can cause problems for them.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A heatmat alone will be fine at night. As they don't heat the air much the snake will still have the option of a cool area with normal night temperatures or a warm spot, which it'll probably make use of at night when it's just fed.
The heat mat must be on a stat though - otherwise it'll be too hot and the snake will, at best, avoid it or at worst, get burnt.

The wattage of the bulb for daytime temps depends on the size of the viv. For example, in a 36x18x18 you'd need either a 60w or 100w depending on how warm your house is.

I wouldn't bother with UV for a corn, or any snake TBH. Corns are crepuscular (mainly active at dawn and dusk) so they'd most likely avoid any bright light and so wouldn't benefit in any way.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
there are lots of ways of heating a viv, but corns dont really need too much fancy stuff.
it wont harm them if you do though, as long as its all set up right.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can u please piont me in the direction of a heat mat with a stat? or has a controllable heat? thanks

·
Registered
5,284 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
theres no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers :wink:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
ebay or any reptile shop..
although i would go to a shop 1st and ask a lot of questions before you buy from ebay, just to make sure you get the right info.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah just ask them all you need to know.
sometimes its easier to be shown stuff than it is for someone to explain on the net.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Was wondering why you put a link to an American stat then noticed the location in your profile!
If you're in the US then forget the habistat stuff as I believe it'll all be the wrong voltage.
The one on your link looks fine but you don't really need one that can handle up to 1000w - a rating of 100w should be fine for a heat mat/pad so if you shop around you may find one cheaper.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha! i was looking alllll over the net for a habistat in the us but couldnt find any! i was looking for hours! until i finalllly found that one :oops: :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
personnally i have found that heat mats don't really make the cut compared to heat bulbs... for my corn's tank i have both. i ahve set the heat mat to 26C and the heat bulb is on in the days at 30C... those snakes are thriving....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so do you think it would be a better idea to just save up a little more and get a mat, the stat linked above, aannnnnd a lap /60-100w bulb? thanx in advance

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
its hard to say.. as andy says, it suits him, i have over 100 snakes and dont have a bulb in the house (except the usual one of course :lol: )

·
Registered
324 Posts
lol nige. Well as you can see nige doesn't need bulbs, just ok on mats, just depends on your personal preferance. Most of my snake are on either bulbs or mats you know, but my a few special one are on both. As for which bulb, i always tend to buy a 60w tbh, a 100 might be too hot. Best thing would be to do away with bulbs and mats and get a ceramic heat emmitor. look it up on the net or something and see the prices on ebay and stuff. as i say you can get away with either or both if needs be. Just defo have a thermostat. and a couple of thermometers in the tank. goodluck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts