Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its been covered before but im getting some mack snow gecko babies next weekend,whats the best substrate to keep them on apart from kitchen roll.the shop im getting them from told me to stay away from calci sand and small bark chippings,but other shops ive visited has sworn by calcisand

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
hi were you getting them from? and for how much if you dont mind me asking? i want 1 or 2 to make a leo set up soon :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
you can use kitchen/bathroom vinyl. you can even buy it with stoney designs so it looks morw natural than paper. Really easy to wipe over too and keep clean :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snakelover said:
hi were you getting them from? and for how much if you dont mind me asking? i want 1 or 2 to make a leo set up soon :D
im on good terms with the shop owner and hes getting me them for between 40-50 quid as a favour,i can enquire for you if he can get you any, but he knows someone who breeds them and hes getting me them over this weekend ready to pick up some time in the week or weekend.they are not goin in the shop,hes gonna keep them at home for me til ive got everything ready

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tombraider said:
you can use kitchen/bathroom vinyl. you can even buy it with stoney designs so it looks morw natural than paper. Really easy to wipe over too and keep clean :D
cheers,ive heard of slate tiles aswell are they any good

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
obviously i love lino/vinyl aswell, its wipeable and holds the heat well when the lights go off at night. cant think of anything more efficient and safer :p

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
ive not used slate myself but i have heard it is good too. I just prefare vinyl because a shop nearby sells off cuts for £2 which i can usually fill a few vivs with :lol:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tombraider said:
ive not used slate myself but i have heard it is good too. I just prefare vinyl because a shop nearby sells off cuts for £2 which i can usually fill a few vivs with :lol:
i will check b and q tomoz for some,is the heat mat fine underneath it

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
yes my heat mats have always been ok. Vinyl is probably ideal to use with them seeing as it is waterproof so will prevent spills getting into the electrics :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tombraider said:
yes my heat mats have always been ok. Vinyl is probably ideal to use with them seeing as it is waterproof so will prevent spills getting into the electrics :D
cheers :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I'd go with the slate idea! You can buy cheap slate tiles from anywhere now... A heat mat would go through them as well no problems.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welshgaz said:
I'd go with the slate idea! You can buy cheap slate tiles from anywhere now... A heat mat would go through them as well no problems.
yea i thought they would look better than vinyl,suppose they will be easy to clean,just give them a quick scrub.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was thinking of slate roofing tiles,,or do you mean some sort of slate wall tiles

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
roof tiles would be ok but try get rid of all sharp edges! The other good thing about slate is it grind down the caws on leos...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
welshgaz said:
roof tiles would be ok but try get rid of all sharp edges! The other good thing about slate is it grind down the caws on leos...
suppose giving the edges a file or smooth with sand paper will do the trick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welshgaz said:
as long as they feel smooth to the touch they'll be fine....
cheers for the help mate

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
the slate is the best bet, but i do put a small amount of calci sand in the joins, just to make sure the gaps are not going to harm my reps, or if you are still unsure, have you checked out astro turf, or reptile turf??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wozza_t said:
the slate is the best bet, but i do put a small amount of calci sand in the joins, just to make sure the gaps are not going to harm my reps, or if you are still unsure, have you checked out astro turf, or reptile turf??
yea ive seen it but it dosent look nice and natural

1 - 20 of 33 Posts