Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just read VIETs thread on pine and cedar. Newspaper was suggested as an alternative. So is newspaper OK?

A long while ago I was told never to use newspaper cos the ink came off. I know they use different ink now, but is it OK and what about coloured in? is that OK too?

The best substrate I've ever come across is fanfold computer paper, but unfortunately no one uses it any more:sad:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
as far as I know loads of people use it on here and its the cheapest easiest substrate to use.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I use newspaper all the time untill I notice one of my snakes is about to shed then I switch to Rain forrest bark.That allows me to mist the tank and holds the humidity in my tanks.I do only use black an white press though but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I use newspaper for all my animals, dogs, snakes, multis, rats, cats etc they all get newspaper some with other stuff ontop some without.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using kitchen roll, but I'll use the free newspapers now.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I mostly use newspaper as well, so much easier to see when the snakes have made a mess.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use bark chippings things from the shop I got her from with a layer of kitchen roll under it. They are £2 a bag and I only needed 1 bag to fill her vivarium. They don't need changing that often as long as you spot clean. In my opinion it looks much better than newspaper but I can see why people do use it. I think it's up to the individual - as long as the snakes happy!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've just read VIETs thread on pine and cedar. Newspaper was suggested as an alternative. So is newspaper OK?

A long while ago I was told never to use newspaper cos the ink came off. I know they use different ink now, but is it OK and what about coloured in? is that OK too?

The best substrate I've ever come across is fanfold computer paper, but unfortunately no one uses it any more:sad:

I love newspapers, always collect them from the bus that they give away.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
one other great thing about newspaper is that it is basicly sterile when brand new. inks are soy based. newspaper has many virtues.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
newspaper is sterile, and the ink shouldnt come off onto the snake: victory:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I use newspaper, but I have page 3 on a rota so they all get their fare share. Don't think Keeley will be too fond of snakes after seeing what my BCI done to her. :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I use it for some of my snakes and lizards as well, theres nothing like getting your substrate delivered free through your door every week : victory:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts