Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this substrate while I was out and about earlier today. Its advertised as being for small mammals, and is a mixture of dried and heat treated bark and birch leaves, and feels very light and soft inside the bag. Its a very attractive looking substrate however I'm unsure if birch is toxic to snakes? I can't find anything online to say it is, so has anyone ever used this and if not do you think it would be suitable? I haven't bought it, photos were taken in the shop.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'd assume the 'light wood shavings' wood be pine or cedar, not great for reptiles/snakes

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Shame as the bark/leaf litter is a great idea

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that might be the case. Shame too as it was really pretty and so cheap too which is always a bonus :lol2:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If the dealer has an open bag, you might sniff the bedding. If it has a pine or cedar smell, then I would avoid it.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
or even give the bag a squeeze and sniff the edges...tbh I don't think its worth the risk anyway, if the contents isn't properly/completely described...if its cheap, then its almost certainly pine shavings, pretty much the cheapest wood shavings you can get

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right, it's definitely not worth the risk! Shame I can't find any other info online with regards to exactly what's in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts