Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Well depends on species :lol:
For royals you could use all of them
Same for corns :lol:
I am currently keeping my corn on bark, but have had him on newspaper, textured newspaper, beech chips and aspen.
My BRB is on orchid bark and always has been.
My royals are currently on newspaper, but am going to be puting them on bark very soon :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Aspen for all my snakies! Its brill stuff, absorbant, looks good and allows the snake to tunnel if they are small enough... I wouldn't swap it for anything else

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you take the snakes out to feed?if not how do you find it with subs?
might put our brb on bark actually...keep humidity up a bit better

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Well the royals are on paper so no, the BRB is always taken out and put in a tub, the corn is left in but i watch him eat, plus the bark is big so he would be able to eat it :lol:
Yes i would put your BRB on bark, use orchid, its good stuff :D
I watch them all eat, but i put down some paper towl with the food on :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Got a few methods actually....

1) My corn is not a strike feeder so I have a shallow feeding dish I just leave in there and he eats of that

2) All my others are strike feeders so I just put some paper towel down in the mornings before I get there food out, I only feed on a sunday night so makes it easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only problem i found with using bark in the past...if it gets wet....it starts going furry....and one time it was crawling with little fly things...might have been from the petshop though...so stopped using it.
ours are all on newspaper at the minuite or paper towels...but might move a few onto substrate...going to go to the local chippy and see if they can sell me some of that paper they wrap chips in....got no print on it has it so might be better for the royals

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Everything I have ever owned has been on aspen once it was out of the "hatchling" stage. I currently keep one FWC on orchid bark for the sake of humidity, but find it hard to fault aspen.

None of my snakes are fed in the viv, so impaction is not an issue here.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
PendleHog said:
Everything I have ever owned has been on aspen once it was out of the "hatchling" stage. I currently keep one FWC on orchid bark for the sake of humidity, but find it hard to fault aspen.

None of my snakes are fed in the viv, so impaction is not an issue here.
Where do you feed yours then? I take it you don't have anything massive like Boas?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I use repti carpet. It's great because that way I'm not getting substrate all over my floor :lol: I ripped apart some fake leaves and scattered them on the floor for my corn to burrow in. Everything in his viv is washable :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I use newspaper atm, cause they're small. But soon thinking of moving them on to the bag of wood chippings i have lol

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i use kitchen towel for most of my things and wood chip for the older snakes though my big boa is on aspen

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
We use Flax for just about everything. It is a plant core substrate, MUCH softer than aspen, doesn't clump like aspen, forms a nice carpet on the floor, easily spot cleaned and due to the fact it is a plant based product (not wood like most everything else) it is digested so you can feed your snakes on it.

If i need increased or a longer lasting humidity then i mix in cocnut husk as that stuff is great for holding moisture.

I have slowly been giving flax to those that currently use aspen just to show how much better it is. So far (knock on wood) not one person has decided to go back to aspen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts