Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we went into pets at home to get cat litter and saw a bag of wood pellet cat litter, on the bag it states that can be used for reptiles,has anybody used this in their vivs
thedee

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
cat litter is not suitable, it absorbs water/moisture meaning no humidity, and can sometimes be very dusty, manufacturers put reps on packaging to make money.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The grey, gravel type of cat litter should never be used but if it's wood based stuff then you may be able to use it - I was looking at Alan Francis' garter snake site earlier and he says on there about using a "compressed sawdust based cat litter" so some types must be ok.

You'd have to be careful that it doesn't contain any kind of deodorising agent or any other added ingredients, and as markhill has said it'll be very drying, so could cause shedding problems, and more than likely pretty dusty.

Also, pricewise, beech chip, aspen and hemp would surely be cheaper if bought in a decent quantity.

Personally I wouldn't bother with it - there's plenty of other tried and tested options out there.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I hate that stuff. I tried it before but when it gets wet - and lets face it, a snake makes a f*ckin mess when it goes in and out of the water bowl - it dries as a dust, and is nasty, the stuff got up my nose when I cleaned them out so I hate to think what it would be doing to the snake, I took it out after 3 days :? :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts